Rust issues on AGP

mepcards

Sep 15, 2015
mesquite,tx
Im dealing with my 2nd pool in less than 8yrs with rust issues. Ive had different groups ask me questions on what im doing that could be contributing to cause the rust. Ive been asked if I use salt system, and the answer is no. They asked what chemicals do i use for my pool, and i reply with what we use on this site only. They ask if I have rocks around my pool for decor, and yes i have pebble rocks all around my pool. Is your yard sloped, and water is settling under your pool. We do have a very slight slope, but thats for water drainage from the rains to reach to the front of the house for drainage. They are all saying this is causing my rapid rusting. I also read a article about having Happy feet bottom pad, which we had on both pools, and said they retain moisture, and that causes rust between the liner and inner walls. I totally get a steel pool will rust, but not in 3yrs. Ive been looking at the Stealth pools, and maybe have it buried, but im still leary on the cost, and will that one rust quickly as well? Curious to anyone with same issues, or suggestions. We love our pool, but close to just transforming my backyard back to normal, for one, I dont want the cost of a inground, and secondly, not replace my pool wall and liner every 3yrs.. Just frustrated..

So, you know that moisture causes rust. Is there a particular are of the pool that rusts before anywhere else, or is it widespread with no seeming pattern?

Personally I recommend all resin pools. There is literally nothing that can rust! Take a look at the one linked in my signature.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Im dealing with my 2nd pool in less than 8yrs with rust issues. Ive had different groups ask me questions on what im doing that could be contributing to cause the rust. Ive been asked if I use salt system, and the answer is no. They asked what chemicals do i use for my pool, and i reply with what we use on this site only. They ask if I have rocks around my pool for decor, and yes i have pebble rocks all around my pool. Is your yard sloped, and water is settling under your pool. We do have a very slight slope, but thats for water drainage from the rains to reach to the front of the house for drainage. They are all saying this is causing my rapid rusting. I also read an article about having Happy feet bottom pad, which we had on both pools, and said they retain moisture, and that causes rust between the liner and inner walls. I totally get a steel pool will rust, but not in 3yrs. Ive been looking at the Stealth pools, and maybe have it buried, but im still leary on the cost, and will that one rust quickly as well? Curious to anyone with same issues, or suggestions. We love our pool, but close to just transforming my backyard back to normal, for one, I dont want the cost of a inground, and secondly, not replace my pool wall and liner every 3yrs.. Just frustrated..
Steel/iron getting wet is what causes rust. Salt system, chemicals, etc, doesn’t make a difference. You might try an aluminum/stainless steel/resin pool as an alternative.

To make sure I am understanding, the pool is in a slight slope in the path that water takes to flow from your property?
If that is the case did you put in a french drain to divert the water around your pool? If not, that’s part of the problem.
Aside from the rust issue which can be resolved by getting an all resin pool, like the Aurora, it will still eventually compromise the structure of your pool by undermining the base on which it sits.
Another thing to consider is that, at least where I live, above ground pools “sweat”. I believe this contributes to rusting coupled with the fact that coatings & the steel itself of the modern pools we have today are simply inferior to the coatings & steel of pools from the previous past few decades. The all resin option negates this problem.
If/When my pool needs to be replaced I will get an all resin pool. Currently the only one I am aware of is the Aurora.

Can you post pics of the current condition of your pool?

Reactions: Decoy205
well doughboy came back and said they think my rust issue is all because i use liquid chlorine, and said i will continue to have this issue as long as i use liquid chlorine. they said they would prorate again for a new wall and liner, but ill still need to pay for new install...so what do people recommend? we dont use pucks, i wont use salt system with this pool, so what do they expect....

To make sure I am understanding, the pool is in a slight slope in the path that water takes to flow from your property?
If that is the case did you put in a french drain to divert the water around your pool? If not, that’s part of the problem.
Aside from the rust issue which can be resolved by getting an all resin pool, like the Aurora, it will still eventually compromise the structure of your pool by undermining the base on which it sits.
Another thing to consider is that, at least where I live, above ground pools “sweat”. I believe this contributes to rusting coupled with the fact that coatings & the steel itself of the modern pools we have today are simply inferior to the coatings & steel of pools from the previous past few decades. The all resin option negates this problem.
If/When my pool needs to be replaced I will get an all resin pool. Currently the only one I am aware of is the Aurora.

Can you post pics of the current condition of your pool?
ill get some pics up when i get home...i can tell my entire wall, even on the side that isnt affected by slight slope, has rust...you can feel it when rubbing hand along the liner, and thats what happened last time...The outer wall is getting little pinhole spots, and rust forming around them...I did also read an article about people who installed happy bottom feet, and that causes rust..we had installed on both pools, so wonder if any truth to that.....i was looking at a stealth pool, but heck, made out of steel....i can see same issues with that pool as well..

well doughboy came back and said they think my rust issue is all because i use liquid chlorine
I did not wake up today thinking that Doughboy was gonna tweak my melons, but here we are. :(

we dont use pucks, i wont use salt system with this pool, so what do they expect....
Once in the water, chlorine is chlorine. From liquid, puck or SWG. Their statement it utterly absurd.

I'm torn between taking what you can get from them and starting over with somebody else. :(

well doughboy came back and said they think my rust issue is all because i use liquid chlorine, and said i will continue to have this issue as long as i use liquid chlorine. they said they would prorate again for a new wall and liner, but ill still need to pay for new install...so what do people recommend? we dont use pucks, i wont use salt system with this pool, so what do they expect....
It’s not from using liquid chlorine. Ask them by what mechanism liquid chlorine causes rust but trichlor or dichlor doesn’t.

All forms of manually added chlorine add salt if that’s their concern. As doughboy only has 1 pool where salt doesn’t void the warranty (the hydrosphere).
Wet steel rusts eventually- that’s just nature. If you want to help prevent it from happening as quickly in the future you could put a coating on all the buried parts (i wish i would have done this). Something like rhino liner essentially. There’s a few threads here about it using different products. This act may also void your warranty ironically but it may help with longevity in the end.
No matter what you choose you must ensure that water is diverted away from the pool or you will keep having the same problem. Happy bottom or not.
Depending upon the price of the “prorated” wall & liner you might be better off just buying a whole new pool.
Perhaps an extruded aluminum one or a completely resin one like the Aurora .
Upon browsing the pool factory it seems they don’t sell your exact size pool - they offer a foot off one way or another. Not sure if that’s doable with your set up or not.
If I ever replace this pool I will be getting an Aurora (or possibly another all resin if they come out with anymore) - they don’t sell one as big as my current pool but I will redo my deck a little. They literally came out with the Aurora right after I bought my pool so I missed the bus!
Here in the south pools sweat! There’s really no avoiding that but plastic doesn’t rust!

Reactions: Newdude
You should have asked doughboy what they recommend you use to sanitize your water.
Next time they ask tell them that’s what you use lol. There’s literally no way for them to know where your chlorine came from/how it got into the pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I believe they just throw darts at a master list. It was your ....*dart hits*..... Baking soda. It's a salt, you know.
doughboy is better than most with the warranty stuff but none of them really wanna cover anything & look for a way out that’s for sure!

That looks like it is rusting from the inside

It also looks like it is rusting fairly high up the wall

That would eliminate causes like ground level water, physical damage (like lawnmower shot rock), and other things.

It really points to a coating failure on the inside.

That looks like it is rusting from the inside

It also looks like it is rusting fairly high up the wall

That would eliminate causes like ground level water, physical damage (like lawnmower shot rock), and other things.

It really points to a coating failure on the inside.
Correct...no rusting anywhere around the bottom of the pool...Its like midway and up.. I can go all around most of the pool before its surrounded by decking, but all pinholes in the middle and higher....

Are you losing water? Have you checked for pinhole leaks in the liner?
Well i live in dallas, and this summer was brutal, so only losing water to the typical summer evaporation.. I went along entire wall where the most pinholes were, and no leaks found, and i used food coloring in the exact spots that matched where the pinholes on the outside of wall. Its just doing the identical thing my first pool did...I did hear another person close to me had the same issue with thiers, and they too had to replace, and lasted around the same as ours.. Im really now wondering if I can get another year out of the pool.. Really like the stealth pools, but they too are steel.

What is your cost to replace the doughboy wall & liner?
Total, around $700 for liner and wall, and that dosent include company coming out to take down old and re-install..So im easy looking at 2k , just like i did on the first pool that rusted out. I told Doughboy, i guess i need to save up around 2k every 3yrs to replace your superior pool..

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.