Rust got me now I have holes

Aug 4, 2013
Virginia Beach
After four years with my pool, I have multiple pin holes in multiple areas. Plan is to remove the liner in the fall, remove, clean and treat everything that's accessible and have a new liner installed. That being said I need to repair the pinholes since I need to enjoy my pool for the rest of the season ergo the problem. I've tried the standard pool repair stuff available at the big box stores with little to no success. Doing some research I have found cement called HH-66 that seems to work for a lot of folks. Anyone here have any experience with the stuff? And does my plan for a fall repair/replacement seem a good idea or should I wait until the spring. This forum has been a pool life savior on multiple occasions and I value any an all advice received. Thanks

I have heard Boxer brand of patches are the best ones to use. I have not used any so far. I am just going off of what I have heard others say.

When you say repair what do you plan on doing?

Liner replacement-it needs to be warm when you do it to help the liner stretch. IF you think you can keep water in the old liner until the Spring then you might want to do so.

Kim:kim:

If you can patch it enough to hold water, then replace the liner in the Spring. You can buy it whenever the price is good but hold onto it until Spring. If you would replace in the Fall then you are risking damaging a new liner sitting there all Winter for no real benefit.

If you are paying somebody to install it you may get a better price during the Fall when they're not busy. However, in the Spring pool guys are usually pretty busy and you may pay more money for their time and need to be on a waiting list.

Makes sense replacing the liner while it's warm but....I want to remove the liner and treat and repair all corrosion/rust that's under there before it gets worse. Pretty sure it wouldn't be a good idea to leave the rest of the assembly up over the winter without a liner. Might have to bite the bullet and close as soon as school starts while it's still warm enough to replace the liner (threat of winter damage...arghhh!!) Decisions decisions..

- - - Updated - - -

I have heard Boxer brand of patches are the best ones to use. I have not used any so far. I am just going off of what I have heard others say.

When you say repair what do you plan on doing?

Liner replacement-it needs to be warm when you do it to help the liner stretch. IF you think you can keep water in the old liner until the Spring then you might want to do so.

Bunch of small patches using vinyl and HH-66 since I cant get the typical stuff to work. Then removing the corrosion/rust and treating to prevent further damage. Spraying some kind of coating to prevent abrasion damage. Doing a search for the Boxer brand now. Thanks.

Last edited:
When I asked about repair I was not clear on what I meant. I was asking about your plans to repair the rust on the walls. I was thinking your might be a good candidate for wall foam to help protect the new liner. Now it can be a pain but I have some tips/ideas on how to best use it.

Of course you will need to fix the holes.........clean with steel brush or sand paper depending on how bad it is. Paint with rust inhibitor and seal. Make sure the surface is smooth. THEN put on wall foam as seen here:

Wall Foam - INYOPools.com

You will use a LOT of spray glue on this. It is not a one person job. Clothes pens work as a great helper on the top to help hold it on. The foam has to be smooth and well place and glued so it does not shift as the liner is hung and pool is filled. If you glue it well enough you should not have any problems when you go to put the liner on.

The most important area to really take your time on is the skimmer and return. Think it though and take your time. You do not want any chance of a leak in these areas.

Let me know what you think.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.