Wappingers Falls NY
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-9)
Hi everyone. I’ve followed along for 5 years since buying a home with a 24’ round, salt water, above ground pool. I appreciate all of the help!
We bought a replacement liner this year because we’ve had leaks the past two and could not repair the last one. When we removed the old liner, we found the walls to have rust all long the bottom on the inside and outside. It also looks like the bottom above where it connects to the rails is bumping out. I’ve included photos in case that helps.

Does anyone have experience with this and have any advice on repair or replacement. The rust does not seem to have gone through completely but it is along the entire wall so it’s possible we missed a hole somewhere. The bump out is what seems more concerning.

My husband wants to try to repair and go the year. I’m worried about the pool collapsing and flooding the house. I’ll take any advice!

Attachments

• F97785F9-A884-4D7B-B6AB-840FB9128EFB.jpeg
    F97785F9-A884-4D7B-B6AB-840FB9128EFB.jpeg
    757.6 KB · Views: 37
  • 46927894-5F44-4101-82AB-FB4161A08955.jpeg
    46927894-5F44-4101-82AB-FB4161A08955.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 37
Hi welcome to TFP! That bump out is where the wall is starting to buckle under its own weight. I don't think it is going to be repairable, since the rust probably will go all the way through when you try to clean it off. The rust is where the wall inserts in the bottom track. The top and bottom tracks are what holds the pool in a circular shape. Physics tells us that one of the properties of water is that it will always seek level. It will spread out as much as it can, and it pushes out equally in all directions. When you have a weak spot in the wall the water is able to push harder in that area and the wall will fail. How long it will last before it fails is anyone's guess.
I would take it down and invest in a new pool with resin walls. I would not attempt to patch the wall since you say the rust goes all the way around. If you really want to save the pool, then the safest thing you can do is measure up about 6" or until you hit good metal, and cut off the bottom of the pool wall. It will make the pool shallower, but I think that is the only way to save it.
If you want to see what rust can do a pool, clink the link to my sad story. RIP Rusty Vogue Pool

Pool isn’t safe. When it collapses, it will at best make a big mess, and at worst, hurt someone.

Reactions: KristineC
Hi welcome to TFP! That bump out is where the wall is starting to buckle under its own weight. I don't think it is going to be repairable, since the rust probably will go all the way through when you try to clean it off. The rust is where the wall inserts in the bottom track. The top and bottom tracks are what holds the pool in a circular shape. Physics tells us that one of the properties of water is that it will always seek level. It will spread out as much as it can, and it pushes out equally in all directions. When you have a weak spot in the wall the water is able to push harder in that area and the wall will fail. How long it will last before it fails is anyone's guess.
I would take it down and invest in a new pool with resin walls. I would not attempt to patch the wall since you say the rust goes all the way around. If you really want to save the pool, then the safest thing you can do is measure up about 6" or until you hit good metal, and cut off the bottom of the pool wall. It will make the pool shallower, but I think that is the only way to save it.
If you want to see what rust can do a pool, clink the link to my sad story. RIP Rusty Vogue Pool
I am sorry for your sad story but thank you so much for sharing it. That is one of my biggest pool fears!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm glad you purchased a new pool. When it comes to safety, we must go above and beyond protecting everyone in and around our pools... including neighbors.

Update thread

Here’s a brief photo run through of our pool story. We are very happy but do have some questions if anyone can share in the update thread above. Thanks all!

Last summer in our old pool. We thought we had a lot more life in our pool and it was so good to us for 5 years after buying our home with the pool there.
5F4240A0-67C5-4694-8F9F-B973FBB80632.jpeg

Old pool liner removal after we lost half of the water and thought we just needed a new liner.
A0EC1311-1E97-40D0-BB17-188530FEEC45.jpeg
Old pool inner wall damage discovery.
9D4BE816-80D1-40E4-9A54-D9076560942F.jpeg

We had no idea how bad it was. Yikes.
9939DD36-B7D8-4874-A9CF-949AC8AE85AC.jpeg
Goodbye old friend. Hello new friend! Our new build!
0DBCB2AC-D6F9-4E06-9D5A-73BBB3A74274.jpeg
24Aurora Saltwater Resin with an overlap expandable liner.
9B2F62B4-36DF-4C59-9527-70CA893869F2.jpeg
Stretching the liner in slowly
5B1B236E-7EB0-4AAB-8961-A49604C2F813.jpeg
We have a pool!
EC30539A-71F3-43F9-B254-47180D3149B0.jpeg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.