Rust above skimmer entrance - advice?

Speterson124

May 8, 2021
California
I recently moved to a new home and am excited to take advantage of the pool! I recently noticed that the are above the skimmer entrance has rusted rebar. Given that this is not a structural issue (correct me if I am wrong) I was considering using something to try to remove some rust and then patching with mortar or otherwise. I wanted to get advice from other pool experts prior to undertaking any work - any suggestions or insights are appreciated! Pictures attached, and thank you for your consideration for reply.

Attachments

• BADC5700-78A1-4F6E-85BD-45806B95813A.jpeg
    BADC5700-78A1-4F6E-85BD-45806B95813A.jpeg
    523.2 KB · Views: 24
Sometimes a steel plate will be put across the top to support the brick coping.

They should have used stainless steel instead of regular steel.

You will need to cut the bricks out at the grout lines, replace the plate with stainless steel and then reset the bricks.

Zea3, JamesW, Jimmythegreek,

Thank you for your prompt replies. The pool was probably built in the late 1950s (recently resurfaced) so not too surprised that they used regular steel. Appreciate the feedback. Per request I took another photo of the underside of the skimmer entrance. Please let me know if this changes any perspectives (most of it is covered so not sure it will)

Attachments

• 6AA43700-3044-4416-8F12-DADB9BAF8405.jpeg
    6AA43700-3044-4416-8F12-DADB9BAF8405.jpeg
    455.4 KB · Views: 11
You will need to cut out the bricks and replace the steel plate.

I would save the bricks and reuse them so that they match.

The plate needs to span the gap to provide support for the brick because the brick will not support a person.

The steel plate should be stainless steel and it should be long enough, wide enough and thick enough to support a person standing on it as it spans the gap over the skimmer entrance.

You will need to cut out the bricks and replace the steel plate.

I would save the bricks and reuse them so that they match.

The plate needs to span the gap to provide support for the brick because the brick will not support a person.

The steel plate should be stainless steel and it should be long enough, wide enough and thick enough to support a person standing on it as it spans the gap over the skimmer entrance.
Confirmed - thank you James for the follow up.

Reactions: JamesW
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.