Apr 6, 2022
Austin, Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hey y'all,

New pool owner in Texas, with rain on/off and 100+ degree temps nearly every day. Algae can really sneak up on a pool in this climate if not on it! I'm getting conflicting suggestions on pool speeds and schedules.

Pool company set our speed at 1700 from 8-5pm, pool running from 8-5pm, robot cleaner from 8-5pm
VS
Our pool cleaner who set our speed to 2800 from 8-5pm, pool running from 8-10pm, robot cleaner from 8-5pm

What are y'all doing with your schedules and what do you think of these suggestions?

Appreciate your time!

Dani

Algae can really sneak up on a pool in this climate if not on it!
Dani,

Sorry, but I call Bull Feathers on that statement. :mrgreen:

If you keep your FC and CYA in the proper relationship, you just will not get algae. The weather has very little to do with it.

The speed of the pump has very little to do with algae also.

The speed you want to run is the speed it takes to get the job done. Do you have a heater?

Do you actually have robot cleaner, or do you have a suction or pressure side cleaner? I ask because to run a suction or Pressure side cleaner, your main pool pump needs to be running.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: dfwnoob
Algae only "sneaks up" on a pool with inadequate chlorine. To @mknauss question, how are you chlorinating? If you're using a SWCG, you need to be the pump long enough to allow a sufficient amount of chlorine to be generated. Beyond that, the pump only needs to run long enough to provide adequate skimming and remove any debris from the water.

A VSP gives you a lot of control options here, though. I run my pump 24x7 at low speed so I'm always generating chlorine and providing some skimming and filtering action. The only time it ramps up is when the Polaris booster pump runs (an hour each day this time of year), the spillover is on, or the spa is running. It would speed up if the heater ran in pool mode, but I never really heat the pool.

Honestly - I'm still learning and currently highly co-depedent on my weekly pool man. Scary, right? For Chlorination, I get a weekly report (though I've discovered it's scant on the details). Typically it's 2-3 tabs, 2lbs of shock weekly. Within one week of the service, we are always at 0 FC, 0TC. Was recommended by another to fill Chlorinator with 8 tabs adjust to see how it goes, using shock only as needed/adjusting speeds as needed. I understand now that I need to be frequently testing myself vs solely relying on pool service.

Robot is on same schedule as pool, but I may reduce it's schedule - was told it can can run down the booster pump quicker.

Thanks for setting me straight about speeds/schedules. That's why I'm here folks, I'm a pool student.

With a Tablet Chlorinator, you must increase the pump speed to erode more trichlor to add more chlorine, and CYA. Which you will find very soon is very insidious.

Time to read.
Pool Care Basics

Reactions: dfwnoob and DCD
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.