Ruby Sand??

JoshQuinnKY

Sep 3, 2020
Cincinnati
I will replacing my 25 year old stainless steel 6-cartridge paper filter tank with a newer filter system.

Here's the question: I have a concrete / gunite pool, 40,000 gallons.

My pool professional has suggested a SAND FILTER w/ RUBY SAND.

What do you folks think? I can't find any reviews on Ruby Sand.

Welcome to TFP :)

I have not heard of it till now... Ruby Sand

SO most people stay with the filter they are used to, I will always stay with a cart filter as it is middle of the road... Do you know how many gallons of water it takes to clean a sand filter?? 50 to 100 gallons or more per backwash.... I like a filter that only gets cleaned once a year... A sand filter is easier but not as clean as a cart but this ruby sand says it is down to 3 micron, that is DE level.... I have no idea...

maybe someone has used it and can give a review :)

If you decide on a sand filter (my personal choice) PLEASE put sand in it. We hear a lot of stories on the forum of sand "substitutes" that don't work out. They most always cost a lot more and they seem to have a lot of unwanted side effects.

Sand works for millions upon millions of pools. If "ruby sand" doesn't work out, will your pool professional come replace if for you?

Last edited:
I have had a DE filter for decades. It has its pros and cons but I like the efficiency of it. I recently purchased a new one as well. For 40,000 gals seems to me a cartridge or DE filter will be a better choice. Just my thoughts.

If you tend to let the pool go and get algae at times, the DE and cartridge filters will require cleaning more often and perhaps annoyingly but they capture smaller elements faster. A sand filter will clear just fine, is easy to manage, but take the longest to clear algae.

So if you know you never have problems or you know you tend to....perhaps that should play into your decision.

I agree with Dave- if going sand, use proper pool sand.

Maddie

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.