rsissons, New to TFP in the So Cal area.

The CYA is the one you need to worry about. If it's that high - it's probably higher - getting enough FC in the water to kill all the algae and finish off the CC will be difficult. Some water replacement will be necessary.

The pH is just fine where it is for now. It will rise naturally due to the TA and when you adjust the pH down, the TA will also drop slowly. Don't add any CH.

If you've got algae, the important part is doing the SLAM, and to do that you will need to lower the CYA. The rest can wait.
I'm going to retest the cya the morning.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

try this

1 cup pool water, 1 cup tap water

do the CYA test with this mix, pour into the CYA bottle to bottom of sticker and fill to the top of the sticker with R-0013

if the CYA black dot disappears before the 100 mark

1 cup pool water and 2 cups tap water

do the CYA test again

keep doing this until your CYA is measured at 100 or less

multiply by how many cups used

Ok. According to the Extended Pool Test link I did the following.

1. If your CYA level is 90 or higher, repeat the test adjusting the procedure as follows:
    • Fill the mixing bottle to the lower mark with pool water.
    • Continue filling the mixing bottle to the upper mark with tap water.
    • Shake briefly to mix.
    • Pour off half of the contents of the mixing bottle, so it is again filled to the lower mark.
    • Continue the test normally from step 3, but multiply the final result by two.

7646e02fcacdd65c35441a3f99ba0df2.jpg

af42c4744dca9a2be4d5624dbf4469a2.jpg

According to this it should be between 40-50. As I have to multiply the reading by 2.

Sound right?

From 100 or better to 50 is a big jump. Try the test again without dilution. Take several readings with the same solution. Even with years of practice I still need to take about 5 readings to get 3 that match. It wasn't uncommon to need 15 or so in the early days to get 3 the same. Usually they were all within 5 of each other, but still...

Reagents are cheap. And once you know your CYA level, it won't change much month to month unless you replace a bunch of water. If you are at 50, you're in great shape.

I did 10 tests of straight pool water and R0013 with the help of the wife and kids. I had 6 60's, 2 70's, 1 55, and 1 80.

So so i am going to go with 60 for now. The first 2 tests just have been my inexperience in doing the test.
I am going to retest the rest of them today to get a feel for doing this and how close i am to the numbers yesterday. I have not added any chemicals to the pool. Just had the pump running with the spillway to aerate.

Call it 60 CYA and start killing algae. Well, wait... test pH and TA and plug those numbers in to get the acid dose to lower pH to 7.2 and then hit it with bleach. It's too darn hot today to not be able to swim, and it's supposed to get warmer this week.
How long do i wait to add the chlorine after I add the acid and then how long after I add both of those before we can get in the pool thanks

How long do i wait to add the chlorine after I add the acid and then how long after I add both of those before we can get in the pool thanks

Do you have an algae bloom or not? I was under the impression you were intending to SLAM. While it's technically safe to swim up to shock level, it isn't safe to swim if you can't see the bottom. But if it's just a few patches of algae on the walls, take FC up to normal target now and wait until bedtime to jack it up to SLAM.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Do you have an algae bloom or not? I was under the impression you were intending to SLAM. While it's technically safe to swim up to shock level, it isn't safe to swim if you can't see the bottom. But if it's just a few patches of algae on the walls, take FC up to normal target now and wait until bedtime to jack it up to SLAM.
No, not really.
0e12026af923404d09838ce1465c9f17.jpg

I added 37oz acid to drop pH to 7.2. and 32 oz bleach to bring the FC from 4 to 5. I waited 30 min in between. That was about 30 min ago.

Good Morning.

I got the pH up last night. Waited 30 min. And added all the bleach I had on hand, which was 2 bottles of 8.25%. Here are my numbers as of the morning...

FC 14.5
PH 7.5
TA 80
CH 300
CYA 60
CC .5
TC 15

As I see it, everything checks out ( let me know if I'm off). I need to brush the whole pool. But I think I'm good. What do you think? [emoji6]

Update:

I had a few spots of algae. Numbers look good, so I added 2 gallons Liquid Chlorine (10% I found it a Lowes 2 for $6.87) last night. I didn't get a chance to test it this morning, but I will probably need 2 more gallons to get it to shock level. Then I will test again and clean the filter. The pool was clear this morning, but that doesn't mean the algae is gone.

I just order a speedstir and an extra stir bar to make this easier. This is probably the normal pattern for a newb. lol.

Thanks for the assistance!