RPMs and Pentair Intelliflo i2 Variable speed pump

garywi

Silver Supporter
Jul 12, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Hi Guys, over the winter had a Pentair Intelliflow 2 HP Variable speed pump installed to replace my single speed Northstar. Just started using it and noticed the high speed setting of 3100RPM is not working well. My floor vac which used to work excellent now leaves tons of leaves. I can tell as well when running my aerator and spa overflow, its gives me weak flow. All filters and baskets are clean. Thank you!

Gary,

Something is not right, as the IntelliFlo is a 3 HP pump..

What HP was your single speed Northstar.

It sure sounds like a dirty filter to me.

Show us several pics of your equipment pad, so we can see if we can spot anything obvious.

Thanks,

Jim R.

3.95 SFHP

THP (Total Horsepower) or SFHP (Service Factor Horsepower)—This is the new pump HP rating and is determined by the total HP created at the motor shaft. Each pump must be labeled with its THP.

Gary,

Why would you pic that pump for your pool???

EC-011060 - Pentair

sku#: ec-011060 The Energy-efficient Variable Speed Pool Pump for Systems With Smaller Plumbing For pools in areas that restrict replacement pump flow rates, the IntelliFlo i1 Variable Speed Pool Pump for inground pools may be the ideal choice.

Jim R.

Gary,

Why would you pic that pump for your pool???

EC-011060 - Pentair

sku#: ec-011060 The Energy-efficient Variable Speed Pool Pump for Systems With Smaller Plumbing For pools in areas that restrict replacement pump flow rates, the IntelliFlo i1 Variable Speed Pool Pump for inground pools may be the ideal choice.

Jim R.
Thank you Jim. My pool builder picked it. What is wrong with it in your view..

Gary,

The basic IntelliFlo is the "gold standard" of pool pumps.

That said, there are three IntelliFlo pumps that I do not recommend. The i1 or i2, which are designed to use less electricity and produce less flow, and the one with the SVRS option.

When you initially said your new IntelliFlo was not working, I assumed it had to be your set up or plumbing. But now that I realize that you have the IntelliFlo i2, it makes sense that the pump is not the right IntelliFlo for you.

You can't get something for nothing, so for the pump to use less electricity, it has to produce less flow at any given RPM.

You have a system that requires more flow that the i2 can produce.

Since your pool builder selected it, he should be the one to replace it. I suspect he was unable to find a "real" IntelliFlo pump, because of all the logistical delays, and assumed the i2 would work.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Hal3

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Gary,

The basic IntelliFlo is the "gold standard" of pool pumps.

That said, there are three IntelliFlo pumps that I do not recommend. The i1 or i2, which are designed to use less electricity and produce less flow, and the one with the SVRS option.

When you initially said your new IntelliFlo was not working, I assumed it had to be your set up or plumbing. But now that I realize that you have the IntelliFlo i2, it makes sense that the pump is not the right IntelliFlo for you.

You can't get something for nothing, so for the pump to use less electricity, it has to produce less flow at any given RPM.

You have a system that requires more flow that the i2 can produce.

Since your pool builder selected it, he should be the one to replace it. I suspect he was unable to find a "real" IntelliFlo pump, because of all the logistical delays, and assumed the i2 would work.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thanks Jim. Can I increase the RPM from 3100 to the max, I think 3450, or if this pump is undersized for my pool (see signature), what Pentair pump should have been installed.

Hi Guys, over the winter had a Pentair Intelliflow 2 HP Variable speed pump installed to replace my single speed Northstar. Just started using it and noticed the high speed setting of 3100RPM is not working well. My floor vac which used to work excellent now leaves tons of leaves. I can tell as well when running my aerator and spa overflow, its gives me weak flow. All filters and baskets are clean. Thank you!
When was the last time you cleaned your filter? What is the filter pressure now? What was the filter pressure when first cleaned?

If you are just opening, it is likely the filter is plugged with debris. Give it a cleaning and see if it doesn't help.

Also, check all valve settings to make a valve isn't partially closed somewhere.

As for the selection of that pump model, while that one may not be ideal, it still should work just fine on your system unless there are high flow rate water features.

Mark, he does have an IFCS.
The i1 might still be ok as long the pressure is sufficient at the manifold. Maximum head for the i1 is only slightly lower than the Intelliflo so it should be able to handle the pressure as long there are not too many heads per zone.

Also, I think the OP said that the system was working ok before it wasn't so I am assuming something has changed.

Thanks guys. My old Hayward Northstar would show 30psi on the filter gauge with clean filters. This Pentair shows 22 psi. My Northstar would blast my aerator accross the pool into the neighbors yard. This Pentair is a dribble, like 3 feet out. Most importantly, my Hayward would clean the bottom of the pool. Also, the vac head could blow chlorine shock off the steps. Not this Pentair. I just disputed the charge on my credit card until this is sorted. The builder wants to charge me to come back and look at this.

When was the last time you cleaned your filter? What is the filter pressure now? What was the filter pressure when first cleaned?

If you are just opening, it is likely the filter is plugged with debris. Give it a cleaning and see if it doesn't help.

Also, check all valve settings to make a valve isn't partially closed somewhere.

As for the selection of that pump model, while that one may not be ideal, it still should work just fine on your system unless there are high flow rate water features.
Thanks Mark. Really appreciate your input. It feels like the Model # 011060 is too weak.

Reactions: mas985
Here is an overlay of the Intelliflo with the I2. An IFCS will tend to have higher head loss similar to Curve A. So it is really about the pressure difference between the two pumps. What was the model number of your old pump?

1649724867532.png

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.