Rounding the Corner... Install Completed 7/27/13

Re: Rounding the Corner to a New Pool Build

Hi Casey,

I'm about to start a similar project with an estimated 85 cubic yards of crush on top of a clay soil base. I will be compacting everything in 6" lifts with a 1000 pound plate compactor.

One thing to mention is do not forget to lay down geo grid prior to starting with the crusher rock. It's essential to keep the two types of material separate and adds an exponential amount of strength. No settling or sinking guaranteed and you can get away with much less crush.

I bought an 8' wide roll 300' long for $440. It has a fibreglass weave throughout the fabric and is very hard to cut. I'll lay this out on the compacted soil base with 2' seem overlaps before spreading out the crush. We'll be starting our project on June 25th. Look forward to seeing your build pictures.

Cheers

Good luck, Casey. I know you've been longing for this pool for years - hope it all works out and you can relax in your oasis soon!

I've dug a 26ft perimeter a few days ago. I have a lot of work I need to do. Drinking coffee right now n then I'll be hitting the site to start leveling for a bit before work. I keep telling myself... this is worth it!

I've got so much work to do... I remember doing this with the last pool and thought, this would be the last time as I looked down at my dog. Here I am again... leveling a new pool. This site gets 100% sun all day long so after work, I'll be working the midnight shift wih the light my brother is letting me use. I just can't do it during the day. I worked on it from 10am-12pm and the sun just beat me up!

This is what I did today... a small portion was from yesterday. It's clay. Some of it comes up in layers and also smells terrible in some spots because some of the sod was buried and is now rotting. I have a lot of soil to remove... :pale:

You know it's a good morning when your coffee is cold n you're digging through a layer of gravel!

Ugh....

Pool building isn't for everyone... including my husband. I'm not freaking though... I've been through this 3 times before and I know it looks like a lot of work and hey, I'm the one with the shovel and he's holding his raft. I can't work on it with him. He makes me more work to be honest and I can't stand hearing him tell me how I'm never going to get done!!! So I have banished him to the central air and told him I'll call his name if I need help!!! :mrgreen:

I am on my 2nd month building my deck so i feel your pain!! Except i can take a break and cool off in the pool. I work till dark or after each night after work and almost all day on weekends. Digging the post holes is the worst so i can imagine you will look like popeye by the time you have it level :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:

I've taken a break from the gym to get this done. This is my gym. I'll be working on it as soon as I finish up here in a few hours. It would be nice to have the pool to cool off in but a bucket of water and a wet towel will have to do for right now.

Worked a 16 yesterday, came home at 7am this morning and worked on the pool site til 11am. Took a nap til 1pm n we left on the Harley. Went back out from 7pm til 9:30pm. I'll update tomorrow with pics for those who are watching...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

This is *1* of my incentives to get it done! My new granddaughter (5weeks) who I want to teach how to swim! She was getting LaLa Lovins!!! :mrgreen:

Up at 4am to start digging this pool out again. It's too hot during the day. Hubby is at work n knows I'll be up. He thinks I'm crazy. I'm not! Crazy is digging out in 90° weather with high humidity. Just not possible.

I'm 66" deep from the grass to the foundation of the pool. I got a good bit done since 5am. Will upload pics when I get to work n can kick my feet up in the AC. :mrgreen:

Around my area there are always a bunch of guys looking for work hanging around the home depot parking lot. I am like you and would dig it myself. Big jobs get done if you keep at it.

1380ken said:
Around my area there are always a bunch of guys looking for work hanging around the home depot parking lot. I am like you and would dig it myself. Big jobs get done if you keep at it.

Those guys want paid n I'm not looking to pay anyone. I'd rather dig it myself n do it right. I know what I'm doing. It's good exercise. It gives me time to think n ponder life. I'll enjoy the effort put forth so much more when my husband tells people his wife did it!

CeeElGee... some people are afraid to sweat n excert energy. I enjoy it. My husband has said he wants to get a bobcat in here. I can't see the extra expense. He won't help because it looks daunting n never ending. It's cool though. My accomplishments aren't dependant on a machine.

Casey said:
1380ken said:

Those guys want paid n I'm not looking to pay anyone. I'd rather dig it myself n do it right. I know what I'm doing. It's good exercise. It gives me time to think n ponder life. I'll enjoy the effort put forth so much more when my husband tells people his wife did it!

CeeElGee... some people are afraid to sweat n excert energy. I enjoy it. My husband has said he wants to get a bobcat in here. I can't see the extra expense. He won't help because it looks daunting n never ending. It's cool though. My accomplishments aren't dependant on a machine.

I see you're using a level but what happens when you get all the way around and the ground doesn't match up? That would be my luck!

Do you know how to read a level? :mrgreen: If the bubble isn't centered or just a tad high/low you run the risk of digging higher/ lower by every ft because it's not centered. I've leveled every 6" before moving on. I use the 4' level n double check with the 8' level. That's why it's taking me so long. I know I've spent at least 10-15 minutes on each section to get that bubble centered. It's tedious!!!

It better match up!!! :rant: :mrgreen:

I am afraid to ask, I mean no disrespect, but why are you digging a circle around the pool. Are you going to dig out the center after you have completed the circle? I would think it would be easier to keep it level if you just dug all the way across right through the center.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.