Rock in skimmer line

I didn't realize you could separate glued joints this way!
It's not sure fire (pun intended?), but some here have had success with that method. TFP is where I read about it. Never tried it myself. It'd be pretty easy to warp the pipe using that kind of heat, and when that happens, unglued or not, the joint would likely be, or become, unreliable.

I forget who taught me a bowline, when I was a pup, but I've never forgotten it either. Plus, I still use it all the time. And I pronounce it like your neighbor did. Now you've got me wondering if that's right or not! 🤪

Edit:

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Newdude and riny
In the apprenticeship we had to learn all the knots. Used the bowline for rigging & pulling many times. Now I mostly use it for dragging junk, I mean… “stuff” around the yard. 😂

Reactions: Newdude and Dirk
I think the problem is, it's stuck in the 90. can't really get around it
If you are still on this problem. My pool has a valve for water main drain / skimmer suction. You can remove the valve top & internal part, then use an air compressor first, or an external (reasonably) high pressure water pump to blow it out. Keep pressure at “just enough”. Then wiggling the rock may do the trick. Eye protection required…

Oh sure, you're out thousands of dollars, but what about the 5 bucks I just lost in the "How To Get The Rock Out Of Jetson's Skimmer" pool?!? Mannnnnnnnn.........

Unknown.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: Mdragger88

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I am sad that it didn’t come out with one of the suggested MacGyver methods so we can see which one worked but I am happy for u to be getting a new finish & other goodies. Also wondering if u might possibly find more sabotage in the process 🤔

What we need to make is the equivalent of a biliary sweep device. In the medical world, you can stick a thin tube up the common bile duct, past a bunch of debris or stones, inflate a balloon at the tip of said tube, then pull the tube backwards, sweeping all of the debris in the duct out into the intestine. I have this exact problem currently, with a few rocks stuck in my skimmer line a foot or two from the skimmer. They aren't obstructive enough to clear with a compressor or drain king, but they are limiting my suction flow.

I don't know why this is not a thing in the plumbing world, I have been trying to brainstorm how to make an equivalent tool. I think I could employ a similar concept concept by sucking a string or fish tape from the skimmer to the pump basket, then attaching a rag or some other moldable object that essentially fills the skimmer line. I would then pull it all back towards to the skimmer, which should, in theory, dislodge any obstruction and send it back to the skimmer. The odds of this somehow failing and worsening the obstuction are real though. You would need to keep it tied to a line from both sides probably, so you don't lose it.

What we need to make is the equivalent of a biliary sweep device. In the medical world, you can stick a thin tube up the common bile duct, past a bunch of debris or stones, inflate a balloon at the tip of said tube, then pull the tube backwards, sweeping all of the debris in the duct out into the intestine. I have this exact problem currently, with a few rocks stuck in my skimmer line a foot or two from the skimmer. They aren't obstructive enough to clear with a compressor or drain king, but they are limiting my suction flow.

I don't know why this is not a thing in the plumbing world, I have been trying to brainstorm how to make an equivalent tool. I think I could employ a similar concept concept by sucking a string or fish tape from the skimmer to the pump basket, then attaching a rag or some other moldable object that essentially fills the skimmer line. I would then pull it all back towards to the skimmer, which should, in theory, dislodge any obstruction and send it back to the skimmer. The odds of this somehow failing and worsening the obstuction are real though. You would need to keep it tied to a line from both sides probably, so you don't lose it.
You need a mouse! Greenlee makes them - its a foam cylinder the size of your pipe with plastic ends & eye hooks to attach jet line to. Electricians use them to swab pipes before pulling wire. The electrical supply house has them. Or an industrial electrician friend 😉

Do you think this will go through a 90 deg elbow or is it just for straight conduit?
Yes - it’s flexible since the middle is foam. We usually blow them through with a vacuum- they come flying out after all the water & debris shoots out - its super fun 🤩

One note - not sure of the limitations for plumbing runs but for electrical conduit runs you are limited to 360 degrees of bends.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.