Robotic Pool Cleaner Recommendations

FDSJr

May 17, 2020
York PA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
I have been cleaning my pool (16 x 36 inground vinyl) manually for 37 years since it was initially installed in 1984. I am now getting lazy and want to take the major leap from manual cleaning up to a robotic pool cleaner, but there are a large number of possibilities -- all claiming to be the best. And, of course, there is the issue of performance -- which ones work as advertised and which ones don't. Does anyone have any recommendations based on personal experience with these things? Thanks.

F,

Kind of depends on what you are calling a Robot.. There are three basic types of cleaners.. Suction side, Pressure side and Electrical Robots.

Suction side and Pressure side cleaners have been around forever and many people still use them.. The Electrical Robots have been around for 15 or 20 years..

I personally like simple without all the bells and whistles and have three S200 style robots in three pools.. I love them and when they die, I will buy another one. They look like this..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks again for the reply, Jim. You seem to have a very strong positive opinion on the S200 and the video you attached is quite informative. Based on this, I checked the Maytronics website and was astounded to see that they offer 53 different models of Dolphin cleaners. Amazing!!
My local pool store carries the Dolphin Active Series (Active 20, Active 30, Active 30i). Although I haven't yet asked them, I assume that they could obtain the S200 from their supplier if I want it. Do you have any experience with or know much about the Active Series in comparison to the S200?
Thanks.

FDS,

Maytronics makes the same robot in different colors, for different customers, with different names, but the internal parts are the same... The S200 is the Active 20, etc...

You can buy locally if that is what you want to do, but I recommend these guys...

Margaret Mills
Marina Pool, Spa & Patio
7777 West Jewell Avenue
Lakewood, Colorado 80232
303-985-0077
[email protected]

They sell the S200 "style" robot for about $700 bucks with Free FedEx shipping, no tax...

That said, you have to call them to place an order, as they can't do "internet" sales.. They do not open until 10 am Colorado time and can be hard to get hold of them.

If nothing else Margaret can tell you what they have in stock and which model will work best for you..

The S300 or S300i have extra bells and whistles that most people don't need.. They think do and buy, and find that they never use them. The S200 style robots do not come with a caddy. If you think you might need a caddy then your best bet is the S300 style robot.

Note.. If you decide to buy locally, your local dealer may have a loaner that you can use to ensure you like how it operates.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks, Jim. That's a lot of good info. I had considered the possibility of Maytronics manufacturing the same model under different names, colors, etc., but with the same internal components, for different sellers and dealers. it is good to have that confirmed. I really don't need WiFi, Bluetooth, or a caddy. I just want something that will reliably do the job with the least amount of complications. I will stick with the S200 or Active 20 and focus on them.
Fred

Reactions: Jimrahbe
You don't actually have to call Marina. I bought my Pentair Warrior SI without ever talking to them on the phone. I did it all through email.

Last edited:
My first robot was a rebranded Dirt Devil QC of the Aquavac/Tiger Shark brand. Bought in 2008, I replaced a couple sets of belts, numerous filters and 1 motor since then. There are still parts for it but last week, it gave up again. Didn't feel like trying a $500 motor or if that didn't work, $450 for a new power unit. So with the approval, ;) I just received a new Dolphin Mercury by Maytronics. Only have had it a day but it has many new upgrades. Cleaning basket is easy to get to and easy to clean. Its overall lighter to pickup and carry. It connects to my home wi-fi and with my smartphone app, I can start and stop a 2 hr regular or 1 hour quick clean (just the floors). Plus I can schedule daily, 2 days or three day cycles of either mode. Also it can be set to schedule different days at different times. I can also use the app to direct it to a missed spot. This manual drive isnt as easy as driving an RC car, it is an option. The daily option will come in handy if a week or two vacation is planned. SWG will keep chlorine in line, robot will keep it clean.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.