Robotic Pool Cleaner Expectations?

psdtime

Jun 3, 2019
Salinas, Ca
I inherited my pool robot when I purchased my house nearly 3 years ago. I received no information on how to use it nor any maintenance that needed to be done. I thought I took a picture of it this weekend so that I could remember the make and model, but in looking at my photos on my phone, I managed to get just a picture of my foot. Looking online, it appears to be similar to many of the Dolphin models. I have no idea how old it is, but it does work at picking up the leaves, bugs and grit on the bottom of the pool and it makes it way all the way up the sides to the water line. My question is, should this thing be cleaning the algae off the sides and bottom? I have run it multiple cycles, but it doesn't do a good job with the algae. This isn't tough algae either, a swipe with the broom, and it is floating away. Should I expect more? Thanks in advance.

psd,
live algae attaches itself to walls and other pool surfaces, so the robot suction is not sufficient to clean it off. You need to SLAM the pool and kill the algae. Once the algae is dead and settles to the bottom, the robot will suck it up. Be aware also, that the robot has a pressure wave in front of it, so very fine dirt, silt, dead algae will get disturbed as the robot crawls along and that sutff will get into the water column. If the pool is really dirty, it may take a few cycles to finally get it all.

Reactions: psdtime
Thanks, I have shocked my pool a few times, but I don't think that I have the right testing kit. In trying to understand the post from Justinc, it looks like there is a different water test to use. I've been using the one that looks for chlorine to be a shade of yellow for it to be safe. Once you start shocking it, it just turns orangish brown, but I do not know if I'm bringing the chlorine level high enough to shock, right? That is what that other test is for, correct?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.