Robotic Cleaner Update

DJG301

Jul 18, 2016
Maryland
Good morning all,

I've been a long time lurker and have read multiple reviews on various cleaners. I think I've decided on a robotic cleaner.

I don't mean to beat a dead horse but I would like an update on those who have used the same robotic cleaner for 3-5 years and their overall experience with them. Maintenance, common issues, reliability, etc.

I'm in the market for something around $800. I have a 40ft long/8ft deep (kidney bean shaped) concrete pool with steps, so the cleaner must be able to climb walls and steps.

On a side note: The original pool pump motor (22 years old) is still in use. It currently works fine, but I have the opportunity to have it replaced by my home warranty until this August.
Do I replace it with who knows what they decide to put in there or keep the old one till it dies?

Thanks all

Might be best to replace it... check with your city on requirements. A lot of them will no longer allow single speed pumps to be installed, since they are so inefficient. So you might get a good savings in monthly energy bills if they install a 2 speed or VS pump. I think where I live you can repair an old pump with a new single speed motor, but any replacement of the pump, or new installations/ pool builds require a 2 speed or VS pump.

Also, right now their is a good deal on my favorite robot the Doheny Discovery at $719. I'm only one year in with mine, but it works great so far. Also, steps are an issue with any cleaner, pressure side, suction side or robot. My suggestion, buy the best robot that will clean 95% of the pool and just take a couple minutes and brush the steps.

I have the Dolphin Triton with PowerStream and am impressed with it. Has 60' cord and climbs walls/scrubs tile line. It also has top loading filters and comes with two sets. It is in the sub-$800 price range. Bought mine from Sunplay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the Dolphin Triton with PowerStream and am impressed with it. Has 60' cord and climbs walls/scrubs tile line. It also has top loading filters and comes with two sets. It is in the sub-$800 price range. Bought mine from Sunplay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dolphin seems to be a pretty solid brand. I have my eye on the Prowler 830 right now. Anyone own or have info on these?

I've been evaluating and looking for a couple of months too! My pool is brand new--just filled it last week. So I went against the popular vote of the Discovery, and I ordered the Smartpool Bigfoot. It's for sure not a popular option--and it's new. I decided on this one because it's quite large (my theory is more coverage with less frequent cleaning of the filters)--and it's quite heavy (I know that's not desirable but I thought it may clean better). It's got the top mounted filters, the cord that wont tangle, dual direct drive motors, it comes with a caddy, it's got a 4 year warranty (though limited) and it has some decent reviews--although only a couple because it's newer. I don't care for the color much--it looks a bit old--but the technology is there. I liked the part that goes along the surface better than the Discovery. Those little "tab things" that stick out DO fall off (I've read that from several people). So I cant tell you, yet, how it works and if I like it--but that's what I chose. I got it for $675. I'll update once I can get it up and running.

thanks for the quick reply! From what I was told, it would be replaced with something similar to what I have now, so unfortunately, a VS would be out of the question.

Have you checked that they will actually replace it? When I bought my house it looked like they all had some kind of "beyond useful life" language that would have excluded my pool pump and furnace. Depending on your pool a dual speed pump might be a good option over variable speed anyway.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I've been evaluating and looking for a couple of months too! My pool is brand new--just filled it last week. So I went against the popular vote of the Discovery, and I ordered the Smartpool Bigfoot. It's for sure not a popular option--and it's new. I decided on this one because it's quite large (my theory is more coverage with less frequent cleaning of the filters)--and it's quite heavy (I know that's not desirable but I thought it may clean better). It's got the top mounted filters, the cord that wont tangle, dual direct drive motors, it comes with a caddy, it's got a 4 year warranty (though limited) and it has some decent reviews--although only a couple because it's newer. I don't care for the color much--it looks a bit old--but the technology is there. I liked the part that goes along the surface better than the Discovery. Those little "tab things" that stick out DO fall off (I've read that from several people). So I cant tell you, yet, how it works and if I like it--but that's what I chose. I got it for $675. I'll update once I can get it up and running.

Where the heck you find it for 675. I would have bought it over the smartpool 74 I bought for 600 but every place was like 900 for those.

I got mine from Pool Supply Unlimited. There is also a $50 rebate I get and since I signed up for their email--I got $10 off as well. I had to pay for shipping, but that was about $35 so I paid $645 total.
Price is still the same now. ;-)
Where the heck you find it for 675. I would have bought it over the smartpool 74 I bought for 600 but every place was like 900 for those.

I got mine from Pool Supply Unlimited. There is also a $50 rebate I get and since I signed up for their email--I got $10 off as well. I had to pay for shipping, but that was about $35 so I paid $645 total.
Price is still the same now. ;-)

Very good deal. Wonder how the filters are. I love the bag because it holds tons of leaves. Make sure you write a review

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.