Robot Vacuums - So Many Questions!

A Polaris 380 pressure side cleaner came with our pool 2+ years ago ... broken. I believe was 14 years old.I fixed it by replacing a few parts including the hose. Old one was stiff. Also decided to replace the pump because it was getting loud, though it still worked fine. So for about $550 it was back in business.

What I like:
  • Zero attention needed most of the time. Automation cycles it on twice a day. Just empty the bag about once a week. Always in the pool except when we have guests. No in-and-out or extension cords. No daily emptying.
  • It works. The pool is surrounded by close-in trees, with 80' pines in the neighbors yard. lots of dandruff: pollen, seeds, needles, leaves, ... It keeps up just fine. Windy day? Just push the button and let it run an extra hour. It gets the whole pool except for tops of steps. Includes the water line.
  • Totally repairable. It's simple, 70's tech. No mystery. When something does break, easy troubleshooting like "count the number of times the wheels turn in a minute" zeroes in on problems every time.
What I don't like:
  • Fiddly . The hose needs to be just so: floats in the right place, filter clean, nozzle in the right direction. The hose gets stiff at maybe 65F and below. Not terrible, but not as nice as summer. (We don't close.) Hose tangles now and then.
  • Power consumption. Yes 3/4 hp is a lot.
  • Noise. The pump is quiet, but not silent. Silent is nice.

Last edited:
Deal shopping is the same no matter where you live - call up all your local pool shops and see what they offer. Call Marinas Spa and Patio in Colorado and see what they’re offering. Check Amazon.

Personally, I’m a fan of buying locally at brick and mortar shops. At least then you have an established customer relationship should something need to be fixed. If you buy online or out of state, then you’re stuck with with dealing with customer service over the phone and possibly paying for shipping.

This might seem like a dumb question, but before I buy with them should I ask if they would be the ones providing servicing?

This might seem like a dumb question, but before I buy with them should I ask if they would be the ones providing servicing?

Perhaps, as long as it is under warranty. But if they get too busy, and they do, they’ll just send it along to the main Maytronics service center in Georgia. Outside of warranty, they’ll either service it or sell you the parts to fix it but you’re on your own. Standard warranty period is 24 months.

I also vote to call Marina. Their prices will be the best. I bought my Warrior SE (s200) for $700 two years ago from them. I'd be curious what their price is now.
$860 I believe, at least that's what the Active 20 is, which I think is clone of S200.

I am still new to my robot we had a pressure side cleaner on our last pool but so far it has been night and day difference. The robot does a much better job cleaning including the waterline tiles. I never felt our old Pentair Racer did a very good job and it seemed like I had to make repairs to it pretty much every season. Our robot is the Pentair branded version of the Dolphin Nautilus CC. Anyone have feedback on longevity of this one?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I just bought an Active 20 last week from Marina Pool and Spa - $860
- No tax
- Free Shipping - Got it in 2 days via Fed Ex

Unfortunately, there is no 'perfect' solution
1) Pool cleaners are mechanical devices and they require adjustments along with minor tweaks and/or major repairs.
2) Like many here, I've had a Polaris 280 that I just left in the pool...it was ok...but every year or two needed something that cost $100-$300
3) When I switched my main pool pump to a variable speed pump, I learned first hand that running a pump can be expensive and there truly was a meaningful savings to the variable speed pump.) Pressure side cleaners are expensive to run (Richter12X2 did an excellent analysis on page 1 of this thread)

As JoyfulNoise has pointed out, the life expectancy of a robot cleaner is about 3 - 7 years. Hard to dispute the facts. Additionally, they are hard and/or expensive to repair if repairable at all...so many choose to buy another robot.

For me, the better cleaning capability of a robot, combined with lower power consumption and overall improved user experience makes it a better choice than a pressure side cleaner.

I accept the fact the robot may break in 3 years and will surely break in 5 or 7 years. (My Aquabot lasted 12 years but that appears to be the exception. I also think the overall build quality of the Active 20 is not as robust as my Aquabot.

For me, the goal is to take some extra steps to make the Active 20 last as long as it can...I want to make it to the 5 year or longer part of the curve. While 'luck' may be the biggest factor, I am taking the steps below to improve my odds...

1) Take the robot out of pool after each cleaning
2) Store the robot on my custom built caddy that keeps the rollers and track suspended in the air
3) Cover the robot with this cover
3) Bring the power supply inside after each use (versus subjecting it to the heat, sun and humidity). The power supply is quite small and light unlike the heavy, metal power supply from the Aquabot.
4) Store the robot in the garage in the winter (versus leaving outside)

I hope all this gets me an extra few years of life on the robot :)

1661964707441.png1661964719062.png
1661964738600.png

I'm looking at replacing the pressure side cleaner with a robot myself, and I just wanted to follow up on the cost question:

My pool currently uses a Polaris 280, with a PB4-60 booster pump. The booster pump is failing and making noise, showing corrosion around the edges, etc... it's needing a replacement rather than a rebuild. The 280 is roughly the same. It's doing an okay job, but really probably due for a full rebuild/replace. Due to pool shape, it misses about 30% of it, even with the new longer hose with all new swivel joints that I put on a few months ago, thinking that was the problem.

So if a Polaris 280 factory rebuild kit is $350, and the replacement pump is about $450. That's $800 if you rebuild, plus 3 hours of work or so to replumb, rewire, and rebuild it. If you buy a new 280 instead, it's $600 instead of $350, and then you're looking at $1050.

It's been running 4 hours a day to try to clean everything (and still misses 30% or more). 230V at 6.4A is 1472 Watts per hour, or 1.472 kWh, * 4 = 5.888 * .15 cents per kWh power usage is 88 cents per day, * 365 days per year is about $322 per year to operate.

The Dolphin S200 (Minimum Advertised Price $1049) uses 180 watts per hour, so assuming it runs the same amount of time, 180W * 4 = 10.8 cents per day, * 365 = $39.42 per year to operate with those assumptions, so hour for hour you'd save ($322 - $40) = $282 per year in electricity.

So it seems like, if you paid $1049 for the Dolphin S200 and rebuilt the Polaris and installed another PB4-60, you'd spend $249 more up front (and save 3-4 hours of nasty work), and then by the end of year one, you'd be $33 to the good, earning $282 per year after the fact that it runs.

Which means that, if the robot lasts 4-5 years, as anecdotal evidence seems to bear out, your energy savings alone will pay for the robot ($282 * 4 = $1128), before you even begin to consider the cost of maintaining a 280 (rebuild $350 or replace $600 every 4-5 years like the robot) and the booster pump, which lasts somewhat longer (call it $450 every 10 years, which makes the overall cost $45 per year or $180 for 4 years).

Again, those are the apples to apples assumptions. Other things that will skew the needle one way or the other, or are intangible:

- Robots are advertised as only needing to run every 2 or 3 days, which increases the value proposition even more, but:
A. I'll believe it when I see it
B. Operating cost is so low already that it doesn't provide a significant difference, even if $39.42 per year drops to $20 or $15, that's only another $80 over the life of the unit, if it's even true.
- If I stay with the Polaris setup, it'll still likely leave a large portion of the pool untouched. It's a problem that's always existed, not a new one as the system started to fail
- I've had a pool in two houses for the past 12 years or so, and 4-5 years is about all I have managed to get out of the Polaris 280, which puts it on par with the Dolphin.
- The booster pump DOES last longer than 4-5 years, but not much longer. This failing one is one I put in shortly after we moved in, which was about 6 years ago.
- For MOST people, replacing the booster pump means paying someone, due to high voltages and pool plumbing. A handy person can do it, otherwise, it's likely $300 or more in labor.
- In the past 4 years, I've replaced a couple of wheels on the Polaris, and gone through about a dozen net bags where the zippers rust off and break or the bag gets giant holes in them.

This SEEMS to bear out that on a full replace, a robot makes sense, where if you have a fully functional cleaner it's more or less a matter of preference because you don't really come out ahead (until it's time to replace). Also that it will favor the robot more and more as the cost of electricity increases. My opinion would be that it's not worth switching to a robot if everything is working well, but if any piece breaks, it's financially worth swapping.

Does that reasoning make sense, or is there something I'm not considering?

Someone mentioned SWGs above and how it was similar. I actually did a similar cost-benefit on those when I was considering it as well. When we moved in the SWG wasn't programmed to run and the previous owner (or their pool service) was running it as a chlorine pool with tabs. I found even buying tabs in bulk, I found I was spending $40-50 a month in tabs to get the chlorine levels where they needed to be. Even counting non-swimming months I found that I could replace a SWG cell every other year and still break even over having to dose chlorine every week.
Perhaps my 280 is an outlier, but my experience with it has been quite different than yours.

I bought it over 10 years ago and it still works fine, with the occasional part replacement (have not had to rebuild). The collection bag has only needed replacement twice. I’ve probably spent less than $200 in parts over 10+ years.

The pool was originally built with a Hayward pressure side cleaner in early 2004. The booster pump has been replaced once since then.

The 280 lives in the pool May to October. I’ve been very happy with it’s performance (mostly leaves, vegetation debris, and bugs; not much fine dirt).

I seriously doubt I would get that kind of reliability from a robot.

I am still new to my robot we had a pressure side cleaner on our last pool but so far it has been night and day difference. The robot does a much better job cleaning including the waterline tiles. I never felt our old Pentair Racer did a very good job and it seemed like I had to make repairs to it pretty much every season. Our robot is the Pentair branded version of the Dolphin Nautilus CC. Anyone have feedback on longevity of this one?

All of them (no matter the branding) use the same Maytronics drive motor technology. There is no difference in that sense. Seems that longevity is a function of whether or not you get a lemon for a motor (has early problems inside the warranty) or you get a solid motor assembly and then it depends on environment and use. The more frequently it is used as a “24/7/365” cleaner residing in the pool, the more likely water will get inside the motor assembly and destroy the internal components. Again, some people are blessed by the fortune-gods and their motors remain impervious to water but that’s simply a roll of the dice.

@truthinadv I am totally ripping off your DIY caddy love it!
@JoyfulNoise Thanks! Yes this seems to be what I have seen so far. So far I have had zero issues with mine. I take it out of the water after each use (I only use it about 3 times a week) and it is stored in our breezeway out of direct sunlight. Hoping this helps and I got lucky on my unit. So far I am a pretty big fan.

Reactions: JoyfulNoise
Wireform

Mcow is correct, I cut up a large utility sponge from Home Depot (about $1.99) and cut into 4 pieces

I then compressed and stufffed the sponge into the T fittings

When I built the stand I placed a blanket on the ground and laid my robot upside down on the blanket. I then created the base, ensuring the spacing resulted in the T fittings resting on plastic areas of the robot. I then made sure there was enough lift in these 4 areas with the sponge to prevent the rollers and tracks from hitting the ground. You could always add a few inches to the T fitting if needed. Also you could use foam or maybe a rubber cap versus a sponge for added durability.

The next challenge is how do you place robot on the stand so it aligns correctly on the 4 posts.

The solution was to place the lower horizontal bar in such a way that when the robot is correctly positioned on the stand, the back of the robot rests up against the horizontal bar.

Let me know if you have other questions

Good luck

Perhaps, as long as it is under warranty. But if they get too busy, and they do, they’ll just send it along to the main Maytronics service center in Georgia. Outside of warranty, they’ll either service it or sell you the parts to fix it but you’re on your own. Standard warranty period is 24 months.
Local pinch a penny will service it for the cost of parts. But parts are on backorder for months. Maytronics has terrible service.

Reactions: mwemaxxowner
I got a robot cleaner at the beginning of last year. At first I removed it from the pool after running it but that got hard after going back to the office. It lives in the pool and I run it every other day. I can manually brush and vacuum the pool faster than the robot since I have eyes that can see the debris. But it's much easier to just hit the button and let the robot do it's thing. As long as I get 3 years out of it I'll just consider it a cost of pool maintenance.

My only complaint is that my fiberglass pool has seats molded in the corners and every so often robot gets stuck in the seats for the entire cleaning cycle.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.