Robot suggestions ?

Sorry, guess I didn't see your other thread? I have a Rebel, never had a Kreepy. My Rebel (a suction-side vac) works just fine. I don't like the hose in the pool, but I'd like the cord on the deck even less. It's designed to stay in the pool (not necessarily true of robots). So I don't think about pool cleaning for at least 8 months out of the year. I don't have to do a single thing about it. I don't have to manage it, or put it in or take it out, or clean it's bag daily/weekly (it doesn't have one). I sometimes take it out while others swim. Never for just myself. It's very light when I do take it out. It works for me and my pool because I don't care about the extra electricity it uses (over a robot) because I have PV solar, and my yard and pool are relatively clean, so I don't have to clean my cartridge filter any more often than I would otherwise (once a year).

If I ever did get a robot, it would be because some of them can brush the pool surface, even the tile. That is clearly a major advantage. Suction side vacs can't do that... I have it in my head that robots clean better, but they wouldn't in my pool, not noticeably better, anyway.

I am robot shopping at the moment - here are my thoughts FWIW

I think if you are happy with what you had then most of the robot advantages may not apply to you.

FWIW I'm getting a robot because:
- suction side devices struggle with my pool corners
- lots of leaves and "gum nuts" mean blockages that require constant attention
- filtration is finer (some robots)
- theoretically less backwashing

The brushing doesn't sound like a big advantage to you if your old set-up served you well

The big downsides are the costs and short life. You hear of some of these things lasting ages, but more often you hear of problems within 3 years. Repairs are expensive and you are less likely to be able to self-serve.

Electricity saving is only really relevant if you run your pump just to power the KK. But I suspect your pump is running a certain number of hours a day based on your circulation/filtering needs and not goind 24hrs just to keep the cleaner running. So personally I don't think the electricity is such a big factor.

Cheers

Thanks for the input I still have not made up my mind on a robot. Ido like the way they scrub although since using the TFP method I don't seem to need scrubbing as much so that is not my main concern.Filtering is not a real concern for me as I have a D.E. filter system already that is probably just as good or better than robot filters. And longevity does not seem to be very good from my research, I think that would probably be my deciding factor. I will have to check out the Rebel, somehow I have never heard of those. thanks again, still leaning toward suction side cleaning.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.