Robot Recommendations?

while buying robot, think about your pool drains. Most of them are stuck in there.

m,

That is not really true... "some" of them do, but "most" do not.. It really depends on many factors, such as the type of cleaner, the type of drain cover, how they plastered the pool near the drain, and even how old and worn the drive tracks are..

I actually have four robots and out of the bunch only one has a habit of sticking on the main drain. The other three have never been stuck. I use the sticky one as my spare.. :p

Thanks,

Jim R.

I tried a Doheny Saturn but returned it because the cord would tangle every day and create so much tension where the robot was unable to move forward.
Anyone know if the Doheny Discovery comes with a Swivel and avoids that issue?

The 2018 model does come with a swivel but it does still tangle some. Reports show it tangles less but still some.

bmoreswim, are you saying the current Doheny Discovery has the swivel? I don't see that mentioned on the website, but it would be great if it does and make my decision an easy one. I was going to post on their Q&A and see what they say.

Don't be so fast to want a swivel. My Aquabot Breeze 4wd has broken twice at the swivel in basically 2 years time. Once under warranty and once out of warranty which I managed to fix. Though I'm unsure my "fix" will last long.

According to Maytronics site, the 2018 active20 does appear to come with the swivel. Still waiting to hear about the Discovery, but I'm not assuming that just because the active20 does, that the Discovery will as well. While a swivel could be a point of failure, does it help much with preventing tangles?

Just realized since I'm posting and not lurking, I should put my signature up.

I have the Active 30i and it still tangles a bit, but it doesn't affect the cleaning ability of the robot. I think the more I use it the less it tangles and think the swivel is rotating
more freely than when I first got it (April 2018). Others have not had any problems with theirs tangling with the swivel. I'm still very happy with my robot.​

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
brunnesa, I am going to call around for the active20, but let me know if you have a place you got it from with a good price. I see there is a $50 rebate for it, which I believe was mentioned in this thread or another. I called a local dealer and it sounded like they wanted $799 (robot only, no caddy) which would be the price after ($250) instant savings and the rebate. That doesn't seem too bad, although if I go in, I will make sure it is the current model. The active30 was 1K after rebates, but it includes the caddy. I wasn't considering the active30, but I was considering the caddy, so the difference in what I would spend is really only at $70 once i got the caddy for the active20. I think the active30 has the multi-layer filtration although not 100% clear on that. The active30 says multi-layer filtration in the description, but it does not show it in the highlights were the 30i does show it.

brunnesa, I am going to call around for the active20, but let me know if you have a place you got it from with a good price. I see there is a $50 rebate for it, which I believe was mentioned in this thread or another. I called a local dealer and it sounded like they wanted $799 (robot only, no caddy) which would be the price after ($250) instant savings and the rebate. That doesn't seem too bad, although if I go in, I will make sure it is the current model. The active30 was 1K after rebates, but it includes the caddy. I wasn't considering the active30, but I was considering the caddy, so the difference in what I would spend is really only at $70 once i got the caddy for the active20. I think the active30 has the multi-layer filtration although not 100% clear on that. The active30 says multi-layer filtration in the description, but it does not show it in the highlights were the 30i does show it.

I got my Active 20 from my local pool store. I think it was $700 with my pool purchase. I know you can add the multi-layer filtration to the active 20. I like the caddy of the Active 30, but where I store my robot, it might not fit anyway.

Just ordered the Active 30 from Marina for $849 and it is eligible for the $75 rebate. I was on the fence as the Active 20 was $125 less ($699 minus $50 rebate). I figured the caddy and being able to show my friends that I can drive my robot with my phone was worth the extra cash. Looking forward to it.

Just ordered the Active 30 from Marina for $849 and it is eligible for the $75 rebate. I was on the fence as the Active 20 was $125 less ($699 minus $50 rebate). I figured the caddy and being able to show my friends that I can drive my robot with my phone was worth the extra cash. Looking forward to it.

Another MD fiberglass pool owner here. Do you have any pictures of your build? I plan to post some of mine soon. I have a 14K gallon BR Pacific pool. I wanted a robot that cleans the waterline since the fiberglass pool has no tile. The waterline tends to shows dirt which is more noticeable against the blue than the dirt would be against gray/brown tiles. You got a good price. I think I'll call them up and do the same. $775 with the caddy is a great price. If you got the active 20 and the caddy, after the rebate the difference is only basically 4 dollars. 650+120. Might as well get the deal you did if you planned on getting the caddy

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.