Robot cleaner discoloring, something in the water?

threecheese

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 14, 2014
Long Island, NY
Hi,

I have a white Polaris robot, I just removed it from the pool and it looks to be yellowing; I wiped it and the yellowing came off! It is a light brown ... substance? I've noticed some staining on the vinyl, but it didnt brush off and survived several shocks so I figured I the winter leaves ruined it and I was out of luck.

Any clue what this could be? And how I might get rid of it? I've been swimming and everything seemed fine, all my levels are right (CYA, pH, TA, Ca) and the water seems mostly clear.

Thank you!

Iron would seem to be the likely candidate. Put a vitamin C tablet on a section of stained liner for a few minutes and see what happens. If it lightens the staining, you may want to consider an Ascorbic Acid Treatment as described in this post Ascorbic Treatment to rid Pool of metal stains. Don’t ignore the part about sequestering agent.

Reactions: threecheese
Tannin staining from oak leaves is likely your issue. Try a 50/50 mix of chlorine and water to clean your bot. Chlorine should reduce the stains on your liner but getting too aggressive may damage the vinyl so go easy.

Tannins are biomolecules found in many plants including oaks and will stain surfaces if not removed right away but they are not living organisms. Chlorine will oxidize, "bleach" the stain but may also damage your vinyl liner at high concentrations. Wait 30 days before attempting to clean your liner as safely chlorinated pool water may resolve your issue. Best to clear oak leaves out of your pool ASAP if you cant keep them out all together.

Yes pools can collect so much organic debris and windy days make things worse. Your cover should help but I found the fine mesh type not much help. An auto cover above the pool surface would be best but not an inexpensive solution.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.