Robot cleaner "collecting" salt?

Grenademonkey543

Apr 5, 2019
Sacramento, CA
Hi folks,

Not quite sure what to make of this and it's somewhat of a wild guess but here goes.

I converted to a SWCG last summer and have head pretty steady salt readouts through the seasons and beyond. I got my Pentair Warrior SE (S200 clone) end of December and around February when water temps started climbing i got a low salt reading. Not a problem I said, rain must've finally done it's toll and the test strips I used paired with the read-out must've been inaccurate.

I added salt to bring levels to approx 3000-3100 ppm, however three months later, lo and behold I'm noticing the salt readout dropped to approx 2700 ppm. Now, the obvious culprit would be a leak and the auto-fill compensating - however there's a gotcha. I've started noticing the robot collecting the following "gunk" for lack of a better term over the last months.

Latest levels as of last week are good:
FC: 7
CYA: 70
TA: 50
pH: 7.5
CH: 300

I've thought it might be calcium scale that's being picked up during the waterline scrub, but it looks more like salt than anything else:

robot_2.jpg

robot_1.jpg

I will obviously do the bucket test to rule out a leak, but the welcoming of the robot into the family and the salt loss do seem to coincide. Any thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

The saturation point of sodium chloride in water is above 200,000 ppm. Your salt level is not that high, and thus, that cannot be salt.

Pile some up and put a drop of acid or vinegar on it. Does it fizz?

Thank you @mknauss ! It was a long shot :) i tried some muriatic acid over dried up residue and it did fizz. So this means this is calcium dissolving ? I am hoping that with a good CSI this is not the plaster but just the lime scale.

i have ordered a K1766 for an accurate measurement of salt levels and hopefully that can give me an idea of any trends more accurately and determine if a leak is in fact taking place

Your current test results do not show an ability to create calcium scale. Did you maintain the pH of this water over winter?

I believe winter the pH stayed pretty consistent around 7.8 with no major intervention required. There is quite a bit of scale at the waterline though on the tile layer. Pool is at least 10-13 years old and was pool route maintained before so the history of the water chemistry beyond the 1 year i took over is cloudy (no pun intended)

As I had previously used a pressure cleaner i did not notice this as much, but do recall seeing a small ammount of similar dust in the bag last year before the salt system got installed.
I am wondering if with the waterline scrubbing feature on the robot, it’s chipping away or applying water to dissolve that scaling to the affected areas more ?

OK -- but when I input your test results in Poolmath your CSI is below -0.6. So your water is actually quite aggressive -- and any scale in the water like you show would be dissolved into the water pretty quickly. You should let your pH rise and/or TA rise unless you know your CH will get higher soon.

Have you recently changed out water? I would expect your CH to be quite a bit higher.

Hm.. curious indeed. Even adjusting for water temp of 92, it’s still at approximately-0.46 so I definitely have a low margin of error.
I did a water exchange last year to drop CYA. If i recall correctly, CH was around 375-400 prior to that

My TA has been consistently at 50ish for the last 8-9 motnhs. I know we shouldn’t be chasing TA and pH tends to find a sweet spot - but would this be a time to add baking soda to rise the TA?
I have no issue with pH rise due to the SWGC so obviously i counteract that when it creeps up to 8-8.2.

EDIT: Moderators, please feel free to move this to the water chemistry section since this definitely seems to not be SWCG-related (thank you @mknauss :) )

Last edited:
We are good at leaving the thread here.

When your pH hits the 8+, only lower to 7.8, or 7.6 at most. I hate for you to add baking soda as all that will do is push you pH up higher.
FYI -- the SWCG in itself does not raise your pH. It is overall aeration.

We are good at leaving the thread here.

When your pH hits the 8+, only lower to 7.8, or 7.6 at most. I hate for you to add baking soda as all that will do is push you pH up higher.
FYI -- the SWCG in itself does not raise your pH. It is overall aeration.

Will do. I think I've been targeting 7.2 each time I adjust higher pH, so I will target 7.8 for now and see how this fairs.

Still have to see what's up with the dropping salt readings, but we can deal with that once I get a more accurate testing method tomorrow. Since it's a string of long shots, no chance NaCl can be affected by a low CSI? :)))

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.