RO done & levels look good — TA question

GinaGina

Aug 4, 2019
Phoenix, AZ
We had RO done Wednesday and most of the levels look great and our water is crystal clear. And we feel better for not having wasted 80% of our pool water. :)

However, our TA is at 100. We’re planning to wait until this evening (to give it 48 hours to settle), but should we then address the TA? Pool Math says to use Borax to lower it? The pH is 7.3. We’ve never used borax.

Thanks for any guidance. ~G

You don't lower TA with Borax. You raise pH with Borax. No reason to use that product unless your pH is low.

You don't have to worry about the TA being high. It just means your pH will rise more quickly naturally. When it does you will add acid to lower the pH, which will also lower the TA a little. You have to know what your TA is when you add acid to lower the pH so you know how much to add, but it will settle itself without you needing to do anything. :)

You don't lower TA with Borax. You raise pH with Borax. No reason to use that product unless your pH is low.

You don't have to worry about the TA being high. It just means your pH will rise more quickly naturally. When it does you will add acid to lower the pH, which will also lower the TA a little. You have to know what your TA is when you add acid to lower the pH so you know how much to add, but it will settle itself without you needing to do anything. :)
@IceShadow Thank you! I see now how I misread the PoolMath info. The water is so nice I’m relieved I don’t have to add anything to adjust. :)

TA of 100 isn't out of line and doesn't need to be dealt with unless your pH is a problem?

With a plaster pool you can see what your CSI is by using PoolMath. And PoolMath lets you "imagine" how a TA change will affect your chemistry.

Maddie :flower:

TA of 100 isn't out of line and doesn't need to be dealt with unless your pH is a problem?

With a plaster pool you can see what your CSI is by using PoolMath. And PoolMath lets you "imagine" how a TA change will affect your chemistry.

Maddie :flower:
@YippeeSkippy Maddie Our pH is good. (See above.) PoolMath has been very helpful. Thanks! ~G

With a TA of 100 your pH will not be at 7.3 for long.

Do realize you 'waste' way more than 80% of your pool volume each year to evaporation -------

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.