RJ45 or RJ60 ?

waterl0gged

May 12, 2014
Central PA
Hey gang ,
The time has finally come for a SWG install . I have a fantastic Stenner system , that works flawless ...........but..........
With the shortage of bleach/liquid chlorine becoming a problem right now , the hassle of lugging shopping carts full of bleach throughout the season and the seemingly annual shortage of bleach that always seems to happen in July in Walmarts .........its time. Pool opening is right around the corner , and dont want to get stuck with no way to keep the pool sanitized .

Just wondering what you guys feel might be the best unit for our pool .
Pool is about 25,000-26,000 gallon . Not sure if a Circupool RJ45 or RJ60 would be best for us . Price difference is about $250 , so while I would love to save that (and use it to invest in the salt) , also dont want to undersize the unit as well.
Our pump run time (a pentair VS) runs about 6 hours per day generally .

Would it be best to just go for it and get the RJ60 , or save $250 and get the RJ45 and hope it will be enough ?

Thanks !

Last edited:
Are you willing to run the pump longer? The RJ 45 may take 12 hours or so per day at 100%. The RJ60 more like 8 hours per day. That is at the peak usage.

Remember you will need a timer for the SWCG unit.

The fact that you live in PA is helpful in that you won’t have as much sun as I do here in florda, but I think your 6 hour pump run time probably points to the RJ-60. The RJ-45 is rated for 45,000 gallons, but that’s basically running at 100% for 24 hours a day, which is why the general recommendation is to over size the salt cell. If you want to stick to your 6 hour runtime I think you’ll need the RJ-60 to be able to meet your chlorine demand during those 6 hours.

If you’re willing to run your pump for much longer, maybe 18 or 24 hours a day (and since you have a variable speed pump you could do so at a lower flow rate without a significant cost increase) then you might be able to get away with the RJ-45, especially given your more northern climate.

I can certainly run the VS pump at a lower speed for a longer time frame if needed. The VS pump has a low point of about 1200 rpm to run without collecting air in the pump filter basket . The heater (heat pump style) seems to cut off below 2800rpm , when the pressure drops too much . I could always run it for 4-6 hours at somewhere above 2800 to satisfy the heating , then run it for a longer period of time at a much lower rpm to conserve electric .
Do the Circupool SWG's have any low pressure or flow cut offs ?

Thanks !

Are you willing to run the pump longer? The RJ 45 may take 12 hours or so per day at 100%. The RJ60 more like 8 hours per day. That is at the peak usage.

Remember you will need a timer for the SWCG unit.

Marty ,
Yes I will incorporate some kind of timer .The VS pump makes it harder than it needs to be , but I will figure a way to only have the SWG turn on , when the pump is powered up !
Thanks

Yes, they have a flow switch. That is the secondary safety device.
Yes, a dumb question I guess . I know about the flow switch , just wasnt sure if there was a certain flow or pressure they stop producing chlorine ? Just making sure they will still operate if my VS pump is down to 1000/1200 rpm if I need to run it for a longer timeframe .

What rpm is needed depends on your system. My Intelliflo has to run at 1600 rpm to get enough flow to close the switch on my IC40. I flow through a heater which is more back pressure.

I just pulled the trigger Monday night (before the sale ended) for basically the same reasons you stated above. I did a lot of research beforehand, both on what brand/size and then specifically on the RJ-60+ which is what I purchased for a similar sized pool as yours. I've read almost every post on here about the Circu-pool SWG's and found most people say the RJ-60+ is running around 30% for similar sized pools as ours when set on 12 hr run schedules. Obviously, the number would be higher for shorter run times or larger pools. I went with the 60+ to extend the life as much as possible as well as cleaning frequency.

I will be adding a new VS pump I bought end of the season on sale last year. Back to the RJ-60+, there is a note in the manual that basically states the most important part about installing the cell while planning for low water flows is to mount it curved side down in a horizontal fashion, don't use their vertical adapter kit for low flows. See picture below.

RJ-60+ Low Flow setup.jpg

I hadn't given much thought to the electrical portion of the operation. Never considered a timer for the SWG but I guess I could use one leg of my (soon to be unused) single speed pool pump timer. Also, I could hook it up 240v (states they are multi-voltage in the manual) I suppose. I agree with you that adding a VS pump (without full automation) is making this more complicated but nothing I can't handle.

One difference is I had already planned on longer pump run times at lower flow rates with the new VS pump. That was (is) going to save me a lot of money over the season! I'm looking forward to that and easier chemical maintenance this season!

Reactions: mknauss
I just pulled the trigger Monday night (before the sale ended) for basically the same reasons you stated above. I did a lot of research beforehand, both on what brand/size and then specifically on the RJ-60+ which is what I purchased for a similar sized pool as yours. I've read almost every post on here about the Circu-pool SWG's and found most people say the RJ-60+ is running around 30% for similar sized pools as ours when set on 12 hr run schedules. Obviously, the number would be higher for shorter run times or larger pools. I went with the 60+ to extend the life as much as possible as well as cleaning frequency.

I will be adding a new VS pump I bought end of the season on sale last year. Back to the RJ-60+, there is a note in the manual that basically states the most important part about installing the cell while planning for low water flows is to mount it curved side down in a horizontal fashion, don't use their vertical adapter kit for low flows. See picture below.

View attachment 130994

I hadn't given much thought to the electrical portion of the operation. Never considered a timer for the SWG but I guess I could use one leg of my (soon to be unused) single speed pool pump timer. Also, I could hook it up 240v (states they are multi-voltage in the manual) I suppose. I agree with you that adding a VS pump (without full automation) is making this more complicated but nothing I can't handle.

One difference is I had already planned on longer pump run times at lower flow rates with the new VS pump. That was (is) going to save me a lot of money over the season! I'm looking forward to that and easier chemical maintenance this season!

Thanks for the feedback !
I wish VS pumps had a better option for "helping" with a proper SWG install ! Its either you have to go with the full automation option ($$$) or nothing . I will prob hook my SWG up to the spare 120v outlet (GFCI protected) , that my stenner was using , then use a wifi smart plug so I can just add it into my system , and I will just control it with my phone. That will let me set the timer, shut it off/on and check status remotely . I use the TP Link Kasa system for tons of stuff in the house already . The TP Link smart plugs are rated for 15amp , and I use them to run A/C's in the house with no issues , so they should be fine for a SWG .

I will be installing the RJ cell vertically (mostly so I have a good view of it ) , so not sure if that will help our hurt ? Not sure if I should mount the flow switch horizontal or vertical yet ?

Will almost certainly go with a RJ60 now after the replies . Was just concerned about the cell replacement cost down the road. RJ60 cell is more $$$ than the RJ45. The RJ60 should work less than the RJ45 and prob last longer in our case, so the extra cell cost should be moot .

Thanks for the reply !

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you are planning to mount vertically I would NOT use the premade kit they offer and build your own. Reason being is in their kit the flow switch is in the "up" vertical path then the cell is in the "down" vertical path. The issue here with low flow is the cell may empty out with little back pressure since it's the last thing in the line to the pool returns. If I were to build a vertical mount, I would put both the flow switch, first, then the cell in the same "up" vertical leg and nothing in the "down vertical leg so in this case at least the cell will always be full of water, even when the system is off...unless your check valve doesn't hold. Keep in mind you must have 6"-12" of straight pipe before the flow switch.

As far as help from a VS pump, there are more exotic ways to have them control a SWG but I won't be doing all that. For instance, I have a Pentair VS pump. If I recall correctly, it has dry contacts (4 I think) that will close (or open depending on your use) when the pump is physically running versus not running. You could use one of those with a low voltage (i.e. 24v) to go to a stand alone relay that controls a high voltage switch which the SWG would be wired (or plugged) into. For me, much too complicated for just one component that I can just as easily program a timer to do basically the same job. But, to each their own! I just wanted to put the option out there for info.

The manual also mentions that the flow switch can be installed after the cell, and if you do so then the cell counts as the 6”-12” of straight pipe. So if you were going to do it that way you could do the cell, then the flow switch immediately after the cell.
Very good point I forgot to mention, thank you!

Agreed , I do not plan on using the premade vertical kit . I have a vertical "spot" already in place to mount the cell , should be perfect . I can mount the flow sensor before the cell vertically or horizontally . Will prob mount the flow sensor horizontally before the 90degree elbow that leads to the vertical section that the cell will be mounted . My plumbing system holds water with no bleed off during the pump down time, so it should be good .
I guess I will have to change the Circupool power supply from 240 to 120 volt using the jumper process in the instructions , since I will be on 120v. Will also have to wire in a 120 "plug" for the outlet .
Does the RJ include a power wire for the control unit ?

Thanks !

My plumbing system holds water with no bleed off during the pump down time, so it should be good

This was my first thought when I saw @onlyjeeps comment, but then it occurred to me that when the SWG is running it generates gas. It generates both chlorine gas as well as hydrogen gas. If the cell is mounted vertically and there isn’t enough water to force the gas through the pipes and out into the pool then the gas could build up and eventually the cell would be mostly dry with just a trickle of water going through it. This would be bad.

The concern isn’t that your pipes would be full of air, but rather that there is enough flow to flush the generated chlorine and hydrogen gas out of the cell as it is generated.

According to the manual, an "unterminated" power cable is included with the unit. That means yes a cable is included but without a plug, just bare wires at the one end. According to UPS mine will be here tomorrow so I can tell you exactly what is included soon if interested.

@Brett S brings up a good point. Honestly, I don't know enough about hydraulics to be an authority on this. I "assume" this is the purpose of the flow switch and it's cut off point.

According to the manual, an "unterminated" power cable is included with the unit. That means yes a cable is included but without a plug, just bare wires at the one end. According to UPS mine will be here tomorrow so I can tell you exactly what is included soon if interested.

Thanks, let me know ! Yea, was hoping I just have to intall a 120v plug and not provide the whole wire .
I just pulled the trigger on the RJ60 (RJ45 with the $1. upgrade from Discount Salt Pool) .
When did you order yours ?
Wishful thinking , but I am hopeful I recieve my RJ60 by the weekend . Will give me something to do at least !

I ordered my RJ-30+ from discountsaltpool on Monday and it is on the UPS truck for delivery any minute now. (UPS was showing an estimated delivery time of 9:30-12:30 and it’s already 12:38 and it’s still not here:( grr). I can let you know about the cord situation as soon as it arrives. I had the same idea about just installing a plug at the end of the cord.

discountsaltpool shipped very quickly... I ordered Monday morning and it was shipped by Monday afternoon. They ship UPS from Houston, TX, so if you know how long it takes UPS to get you a package from Texas you can figure out when it will get there.

I ordered mine Monday afternoon and according to UPS will be here tomorrow. That doesn't sound promising for the weekend for yours considering UPS doesn't run Sat's or Sun's. :-( Sorry.

I thought their $1 upgrade sale was supposed to end Monday night at midnight? If you still got the deal, good for you!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.