River Pools C40 Fiberglass Pool Installation - [Gore, Virginia]

It's often a combo making the CSI being out of whack
Kinda what I was thinking, but my CSI is inline with a value of 0.1 per the Pool Math app...I haven't had a chance to vacuum the floor since it happened, not sure if it is still going on or if it may have been a one time occurrence.

Reactions: Newdude
Nothing scientific in my answer - but my CSI was more in the neutral range, and I was seeing some flaking from the SWG. Right now I try to keep it around -.6 (currently -.62) . I haven't seen the flakes in a while. I do think it is related.

Nothing scientific in my answer - but my CSI was more in the neutral range, and I was seeing some flaking from the SWG. Right now I try to keep it around -.6 (currently -.62) . I haven't seen the flakes in a while. I do think it is related.
What’s the key to getting down in the negative range? Less CH, less TA? Both? Working on bringing down the TA but it’s taking a loooong time…

What’s the key to getting down in the negative range? Less CH, less TA? Both? Working on bringing down the TA but it’s taking a loooong time…
There are a lot of people that could answer that better than me. I have fiberglass so the CH and CSI is less important for the shell. I think I lied to the pool math app a few times with CH, TA, pH and temperature levels to mock up some CSI numbers. I don't think the effects of adding were giving me CSI right. I also use borates, etc.

There are also some calculators in the Deep End I think related to CSI.

There are a lot of people that could answer that better than me. I have fiberglass so the CH and CSI is less important for the shell. I think I lied to the pool math app a few times with CH, TA, pH and temperature levels to mock up some CSI numbers. I don't think the effects of adding were giving me CSI right. I also use borates, etc.

There are also some calculators in the Deep End I think related to CSI.
I was monkeying with the numbers in the pool math app after I posted that last one...Seems like a time or two I was probably in a susceptible zone for scaling. Not sure of the exact combo right now, but I'm sure the high TA was a contributing factor. I've got the TA down to 120 as of this morning. Vac'd the flakes off the bottom of the pool a few days ago, haven't noticed any return. Gonna get everything inline before I go making any hasty judgement calls...been enough of that during the install already.

Got the TA down to 90 as of a day ago, going for one more round of acid/aeration and hoping we'll be close. I've got all the plumbing done with the exception of gluing up the deck jets once the remaining concrete form is in place. Ran bonding wire and bonding inspection was completed yesterday. Been a struggle trying to get concrete delivered. Just in a waiting pattern for the moment.

IMG_0314.jpg
IMG_0315.jpg
IMG_0316.jpg

Finally can breathe a bit. Got the concrete around, I feel like it's time to enjoy it (not like we haven't been, just feels official now.) We've got my son's birthday party this weekend, I know it'll be that much more enjoyable. Not finished, but to what I feel like is a solid usable state. We'll have some more fiberglass repairs to deal with at the end of the season or before next and I'm still up in the air on the exact pool deck direction aside from material choice. Now to get things cleaned up and plan this patio/deck area.

IMG_0324.jpg

IMG_0327.jpg

IMG_0331.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Kids love them, despite the mixed opinions they seem like a good choice so far.
I can't say I've ever seen a 'nay' opinion of them with an unlimited budget. Only that by the time anyone is discussing them, they have long blown their budget and likely skimped somewhere more useful while getting there. Like a SWG, robot or properly sized equipment that would come in handy everyday instead of only at times.

I personally would have liked them for parties or to keep the kids laughing for a while, but the monies saved buys ALOT of kleenex's.

woody-harrelson-crying.gif

Finally getting back into this project. We just scored some pallets of bullnose and pavers to create our pool deck with. I'm trying to spool up for the coping install.

Originally I thought we would just use a block/construction adhesive but them together and carry on. The more digging I do I've learned this is not ideal in freeze climates.

I'm on the fence how exactly to set the bullnose. I do know I definitely want to go the direction of set in mortar, gapped, sealed, then grouted to ensure they stay as water tight as possible.

What is the typical overhang for bullnose coping? I was eyeballing a couple pieces the other day and feel like just having the full curve protrude past the wall would be sufficient...not sure if there is something here I'm missing that would warrant more overhang?

Should the front part of the bullnose that contacts the fiberglass lip have a block/construction adhesive used to help with adhesion?

BA312B9D-AEA0-4491-BCEA-290C51F40175_1_105_c.jpeg
233BBD06-4F50-4F95-8631-F346269CF663_1_105_c.jpeg

I shot for 1.5" of overhang on our bullnose coping. In reality, some spots are closer to 1" and some are closer to 2". It was tough getting the cuts perfect around the radius corners.

I used this thread as a resource when doing my coping. The OP and I were both have steel walls though, so it might be a little different. Still, I'm sure there's good information in there regardless.

Reactions: xpnsvtoys
I shot for 1.5" of overhang on our bullnose coping. In reality, some spots are closer to 1" and some are closer to 2". It was tough getting the cuts perfect around the radius corners.
Thanks @dleonard1122. I checked out your build, nice work!

When you were cutting the bullnose for the coping did you use a jig of any sort? One photo looks like they were all cut dry set then mortared into place? How difficult was it to keep your spacing/position?

Thanks @dleonard1122. I checked out your build, nice work!

When you were cutting the bullnose for the coping did you use a jig of any sort? One photo looks like they were all cut dry set then mortared into place? How difficult was it to keep your spacing/position?
No jig, but that's not to say that one wouldn't have helped. In theory, since we were dealing with 6' and 8' radius corners we could have figured out exactly how much needed to be clipped from each piece, but in reality we could never quite get that right. We ended up settling on a 'standard' amount to cut off each corner (say, .75") and then as we went id just tell my cutter to take a little more or less off as necessary to try to maintain the overhang we wanted. I used tile spacers that I got from Home Depot to keep spacing between the coping, and we did cut everything dry and then went back and set everything in mortar.

In hindsight, the one thing I wish I would have done differently would have been to do the grout while we were setting the coping. Probably wouldn't have been able to use the spacers like that, and it would have gone even slower, but it took a long time to go around and individually grout the coping. We tuck-pointed all of the gaps, which was really monotonous. You'd probably need a crew of at least 3 people who really knew what they were doing in order to cut, lay, and grout the coping in one step. For us it was me (who was learning as I went), my FIL who knew how to cut bricks, and my wife who did a great job transferring things from the cutting station to where I was.

In hindsight, the one thing I wish I would have done differently would have been to do the grout while we were setting the coping. Probably wouldn't have been able to use the spacers like that, and it would have gone even slower, but it took a long time to go around and individually grout the coping. We tuck-pointed all of the gaps, which was really monotonous. You'd probably need a crew of at least 3 people who really knew what they were doing in order to cut, lay, and grout the coping in one step. For us it was me (who was learning as I went), my FIL who knew how to cut bricks, and my wife who did a great job transferring things from the cutting station to where I was.

Did you seal the bullnose prior to grouting? I saw another post where @jimmythegreek mentioned they should be sealed prior to grouting...

I didn't seal. I think that's an aesthetic preference on if you'd prefer an 'always wet' look. It might protect from some putting/deterioration of the concrete, but I'm not sure of that.

46 cuts down, only 354 to go..

Tired King Of Queens GIF by TV Land

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.