Risks of SWG for pool in the long run

Jul 4, 2015
Québec
My liquidator is beginning to break in different areas which caused a lot of problems this year. The solution is far from perfect from my point of view. I installed it in the first place because I cannot take of the pool every day. In fact I cannot take care of it during most weekdays.

I am thinking of switching to SWG, did my research and there are a few people saying it will hurt the pool badly. I know some are sellers of other solutions, so that are partial, but others seem more legit. Is there a risk?

I intend to install:
  • Hayward Aqua Rite 40k
  • Check valve between heater and SWG
  • Anti-Electrolysis Zinc Anode Weight for Salt Water Pools for skimmer basket
Am I missing something for things to go smoothly?

Thanks in advance!

How will it hurt it badly? Have you checked your current salt level? If not, I bet you’ll be surprised how high it already is.

Last edited:
If you do any amount of searching here, you will see that SWCG's are very well regarded.

You will not need the check valve or the anode for a SWCG install. Both are unnecessary.

You do need a way to be sure the SWCG is not receiving power to it when the pump is off. Timer, current sensor, something to be the primary safety device. The flow switch on the SWCG is a secondary safety device.

I'm really curious what the nay sayers are saying will hurt the pool? I don't see anything in your sig that would be damaged by a SWG. The only downside I can think of for using a SWG is they don't generate when the water temp is cold, below 60F. Other than that my saltwater conversion was the best thing I ever did to my pool.

T,

I have three saltwater pools.. One is 8 years old, one is 6 years old, and one is 5 years old (SWCG wise) and I have had zero saltwater issues...

The main problem with a SWCG pools is that they are so easy to maintain, that people just quit testing.. You have to test and maintain the water balance as with any pool. If you quit taking care of the water, bad things will happen, saltwater or not.

Thanks,

Jim R.

The main problem with a SWCG pools is that they are so easy to maintain.

This. Soooooo much this. I have a weekly alarm set for Sunday afternoon to remind me to check the balence. We look directly at the pool from my diner table and its always so sparkly that testing seems like a waste. (But its important of course)

Wow. That's a relief! Thanks to all of you. One question:

You do need a way to be sure the SWCG is not receiving power to it when the pump is off. Timer, current sensor, something to be the primary safety device. The flow switch on the SWCG is a secondary safety device.
I am not sure what I should do? I don't have a timer or other sensor.

Thanks.

Add a timer. If you are going to run the pump 24/7, that is OK too, but not the best option. How did you control the Liquidator?

Most mechanical timers can be repaired pretty easily.

If the SWCG is powered on when the pump is not running, there is a risk of the SWCG exploding.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sounds like its time to replace the timer... And you'll be able to get one that works with VS motors and can independently control the pump and SWG since you won't need to run the SWG as long as you are running your pumps. Or you can go cheap and get a simple mechanical timer.

edit: Marty posted the same time I did... what he said

If it works use that. Depending on what SWCG you get, it might have a plug or you might have to modify it.

As long as water is moving through the SWCG, you are fine. Most SWCG will run at 1200 rpm or so with a VS pump. Not much reason to run the pump lower than that.

Reactions: Thierry
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.