Rising TA and PH

speck

Jul 20, 2020
Tampa, Florida
My TA has slowly risen since my pool was completed in May 2020. It started at 50 and today is at 110. My pH has always been around 7.8 but today tested at 8.2. Poolmath says to lower pH to 7.0-7.2 and aerate to fix TA. Is this what I should do? I've read through a few other posts and saw someone say "Don't lower TA just to get it into the ideal/recommend range" so I'm a little confused. Here are the rest of my test results:
FC - 6.0
CH - 400
CYA - 50

Thank you in advance!

Lower your pH to 7.4. Test pH every few days and add acid to get to 7.4.

What is the TA of your fill water? Are you adding chemicals that raise TA?

Lower your pH to 7.4. Test pH every few days and add acid to get to 7.4.

What is the TA of your fill water? Are you adding chemicals that raise TA?

Ok will do.
Not sure what the fill water TA is. I'll test it. I haven't added water in several months though thanks to random Florida storms.
Since the pool was installed, I've added only bleach and granulated stabilizer.

If the TA started at 50, you have added nothing but liquid chlorine/bleach and granulated CYA, and no fill water, then your TA is 50 ppm now.

The water level in the pool is largely maintained by the rain that we get here in Tampa. I've added water only once in the past 8 months.
I'm not sure why it has risen, but it definitely has. I have all of the test results from the last 8 months

Interesting. Carbonate Alkalinity can only come from certain sources. Rain is not one of them. Nor is liquid chlorine. Only source could be your plaster finish. That is possible.

Just keep your pH in the 7's.

Reactions: speck
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.