Right pvc for above ground plumbing/filter?

VinylDelight

Aug 9, 2022
MS
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
My local hardware stores don't have clear primer so I need to buy this stuff online, and I just wanted to double check if this is the right primer and cement for my pvc pipes to install union fittings on the filter (to deep clean)?

I also read that medium or thick pvc cement is what you want, but is one preferred ever?

Thanks again.

Attachments

• 20240314_153523.jpg
    20240314_153523.jpg
    218.9 KB · Views: 2
  • 20240314_153509.jpg
    20240314_153509.jpg
    243.2 KB · Views: 1
If you are using any CPVC unions or valves you may want to use this on...

My local hardware stores don't have clear primer so I need to buy this stuff online, and I just wanted to double check if this is the right primer and cement for my pvc pipes to install union fittings on the filter (to deep clean)?

I also read that medium or thick pvc cement is what you want, but is one preferred ever?

Thanks again.
Don't have to use clear if purple is available. The color fades in the Sun, if that is your issue. Try to get a good "blue" glue. They have more PVC in them than does clear. Makes a better joint. Oatey makes what they call "Blue Lava," a very quick setting glue. Or "Rain-R-Shine" is also very good. Be sure to apply the glue to the pipe and the fitting.
Best if the pipes are painted after you are done. An inexpensive flat or satin spray works best.

Reactions: proavia
Some like to use the clear so that nobody else knows they worked on pvc for the next few days. 😁

Wear gloves, latex or nitrile … PVC primer contains xylenes which dissolve the pvc to make a fused joint. Xylene is not good to get on your skin or inhale 🥴

Reactions: newdude
Don't have to use clear if purple is available. The color fades in the Sun, if that is your issue. Try to get a good "blue" glue. They have more PVC in them than does clear. Makes a better joint. Oatey makes what they call "Blue Lava," a very quick setting glue. Or "Rain-R-Shine" is also very good. Be sure to apply the glue to the pipe and the fitting.
Best if the pipes are painted after you are done. An inexpensive flat or satin spray works best.
It will be in a shed never getting direct sunlight. The current setup has no purple drips so I just wanted to maintain the aesthetic.

But the purple drips are what signify a job well done … purple primer was formulated that way so that building inspectors could verify that plumbers actually assembled the plumbing correctly - no purple drips, no pass inspection.

Seinfeld Soup GIF

Oatey makes what they call "Blue Lava," a very quick setting glue.

He's not kidding one bit about "very quick." If you're going to use this stuff be well prepared and organized.
I wasn't and it resulted in several trips back to the orange store for elbows or couplings cause I didn't get my joint together in time. And if you miss the window there's no forcing it.
It has held up very well though once it was all together.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.