Reviving out of service pool: FG & deck Refresh

Got to hear the sweet sound of water being pumped in the pad without leaks 🥳 ... interrupted 2 minutes later by dark clouds and thunder. :rolleyes: Really thought I was going to have a chance to start testing the water & adding chems today. :cry:

Have a bad feeling that the 2 cracks that have been in the pool for over a decade have now decided to leak. Had about 3" of rain yesterday and pool water level did not change. It's just above the bottom of the skimmer and, of course, about 1" too low for the skimmer to work. Had to add water for testing today. :(

Have you done the bucket leak test? With the pump off, that should indicate or rule out if the cracks are leaking. Best when not raining, but it technically should work either way.

SLAM prep
Sun 9/6
09:25 CYA=00, pH=7.5 add 1-1/2 gal liquid stabilizer
10:30 CYA=20, pH=7.6 add 1/2 gal liquid stabilizer, 4 cups muriatic acid
12:00 CYA=30, pH=7.5 add 4 cups muriatic acid

Thinking if CYA needs to be increased in the next couple of weeks, I will use some existing tabs and/or some ancient 1 lb Leslie's shock pkgs. But CYA meets SLAM minimum, so I think I'm good there now.

pH is also in SLAM range, but I thought I'd like to try to bring it down just a triffle. FWIW, my well water has a pH of 7.5 now too; it was 7.2 on June 1. So if I do some vac to waste as planned, shouldn't affect pool's overall pH.

Looks like I'm getting close to start dumping chlorine. What I have is now 4 months old and it's been kept inside the unfinished house section = cooler than outside, but not temp controlled. So looking at the degradation chart, I'm planning on treating this as 6% instead of 10% LC for (web) PoolMath purposes.

And away we go... :paddle:

Reactions: kimkats
I took some, but since there's surface algae, can't see too much until the skimmer does its thing. Will retake this PM and post both for comparison.

Time to retest now and empty some LC containers. (y)

Make sure to wear clothes you don't care about while doing this unless you like polka dots!
The dots are in baybay! All the cats are wearin 'em! That's how I know I'm cool!! (Otherwise, I'll have to trash most all of my pants and shorts! It was at least a year before I solved the mystery of the dots. Doh!)

Last edited:
Make sure to wear clothes you don't care about while doing this unless you like polka dots!
Already wearing my painting clothes. :)

SLAM start
Sun 9/6
slam 20200906_095222.jpg
slam 20200906_095404.jpg
slam 20200906_095252.jpg

12:00 CYA=30
13:30 pH=7.3, CH=150, TA=210

13:30 FC=00 add 4.5 gal LC [LC tot=4.5 gal]
15:30 FC=4.5 add .3 gal LC [LC tot=4.8 gal] ** duh, copied dichlor amt instead of LC :rolleyes:
17:30 FC=3.0 add 3.6 gal LC [LC tot=8.4 gal]
Since the leak is new & don't know the rate yet, added 2" water to make sure pump wouldn't run dry overnight
19:30 FC=12.5 ok
slam 20200906_192228.jpg

Mon 9/7
slam 20200907_072828.jpg
slam 20200907_072845.jpg

07:30 FC=5 add 2.8 gal LC [tot LC=11.2 gal]

------------------------

Moved the mystery object in the deep end while scooping, but still could not remove it. At least was able to work on the muck that was previously under it.

Skimmer was picking up a lot of surface algae until evening, but not now. Floating weir has small crack, so going to buy another, a spare basket and some hairnets from amazon. Wonder if the Dollar store, Walmart, etc has hairnets that I could get now?

The getting down to pour the bottles of acid/bleach sure remind me that I'm an old coot. :LOL: Well, the getting down isn't so bad, it's the getting up. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Reactions: Dirk and mguzzy

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
09:30 FC=12.5 ok

Second time FC is higher than target (12) after 2 hr wait. Guessing my LC isn't as weak as I thought. Will use 8% in PoolMath next time.

Last edited:
Thoughts are with you! I think maybe I came to your thread late, and didn't realize fully what you've been up against. Which now makes me feel bad about yammering on about BFPs and teflon tape! Good for you for taking all this on and keeping your chin up! You're doing great!! (y)

Moved the mystery object in the deep end while scooping, but still could not remove it.
Wait.. I thought you got Jimmy out already? I've lost track since this thread is now so long it should have an index ;)

When the Cl starts killing stuff be liberal with your filter washes... that's where all that dead stuff piles up.

Weee hoo here we go! The pics will really show you your progress, its not just for us (even though we are all a bunch of pool voyeurs) its also for you!

• Haha
Reactions: Dirk
didn't realize fully what you've been up against. Which now makes me feel bad about yammering on about BFPs and teflon tape!
Feel good! You gave me valuable info about the BFPs and I appreciate it. (y) I think there are about as many folks who say teflon OR goop only as there are that promote the combo on difficult leaks. Kind of like believing in Santa Claus. :D

this thread is now so long it should have an index
Ain't that the truth? :laughblue:

I'm nervous for you to find out what the big unmovable lump in the deep end is
What I'm suspecting now is just a solar tiki light with a cast iron stand. If so, it's just a bit too big to snag blindly with the net, but when visible, shouldn't be a big thing. I'm just glad that I've finally been able to move it to get to that muck underneath.

-----------------------
11:30 FC=11 add 2 gal LC [tot LC=13.2 gal]
13:30 FC=11 add 2 gal LC [tot LC=15.2 gal]

Shallow end floor barely visible until I scooped the pool and made a mess. :p Hopefully I'll have enough energy in a bit to build the manual vac line that is planned so that I can vac to waste first thing tomorrow. (Separate manual vac line is so that I can vac even if water line is below the skimmer. With the new leak, may end up being an alt suction input at times too.) Then I'll start up the filter for the first time. Expect that the filter's going to need to be cleaned quite a bit at first, so most likely will just recirc at night.

Hubba hubba.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dirk
Gonna have to stop looking at the Mouse Over field on the web PoolMath. Last 2 times I've added 2 gal of LC as listed there when FC calc field says 37 oz (4-1/2 cups). No idea where the mouse was to get 2 gal value. Get brain working, dummy. :shark:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.