Reviving out of service pool: FG & deck Refresh

The aquaplus is just a prologic with a sticker over the label cause it comes bundled. Do a search for T15 bundle or prologic bundle. The T15 is fine for your size pool. I always go larger on the VS but if you have a basic pool the smaller size is fine not much difference in price

Reactions: setsailsoon
Thanks, Jimmy. I figured the SWG was ok, but just wanted to verify. Think I may call polytech tomorrow with a wish list for either a Pentair or Hayward system now that I have a suggestion as a background. Going to be interesting...

Trying to get a logical layout for my equipment pad. So still want to know about the plumbing issue that I posted about a couple of days ago. I'm guessing the only reason the orig pool installer said to use Recirculate when running the jets was to eliminate the pressure drop from the filter. post 29 - plumbing question

The local pool guy sent us a proposal. $85/hr (or $165 for 2 bodies) to scoop on pool. Don't think so. He also had an equipment list. Might have been a good idea if he'd at least talked to us about what we had and what we wanted...

Tried out new, heavy duty pole in deep end this afternoon. Sweet! Guessing going to take me about 2 weeks to get that down to a dull roar.

The recirculation mode is to avoid pressure drop from the filter as you suspected
So sounds like it'd be ok to automate by increasing pump speed somewhat and turning on blower while leaving filter on. From what I can see, doesn't look like the Aqua Plus can do a combo, but can't see that having to select 'em individually is much of a problem since there's not a dependancy like pump & SWG. System damage should not be a problem as long as pump doesn't exceed what the filter can handle.

Last edited:
You could setup a 3way valve in a bypass configuration and put a check valve in to stop water going backwards from original source. Then setup that in the prologic as a spa mode and it will automate it all with a single button push of spa/pool button. I do it all the time with waterfalls we dont have many built in spas around here so i use spa mode to set automation for water features valving and pump speed

I was wondering about the same thing since the orig layout sent the water back to the pool via a separate water line instead of the returns. When we moved the equipment from the orig location to the current pad, I'd put a 3-way before the filter to redirect to the jet pipe so we didn't have to Recirc as well as switch to that pipe. Gee, an answer before I'd asked the question = awesome. (y)

But now a dummy question: if I'm using a 3-way to route to the jet line, why would I need a check valve for the return line since it'd be "off"? Just as a safety? Or did you mean putting the check valve on the source, ahead of the 3-way?

Edit: After rereading multiple times, I think the intent was to put the check valve on the source. Duh.

Last edited:
If you bypass a heater or filter or whatever and you simply redirect water it will backfeed thru that section. Sometime that's not an issue and sometimes it is. A check valve will keep water from going backwards. The simplest way to bypass is with an H style piping

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Saying H style gave me an instant visual. (y)

So here's my first stab at the logical equipment layout. Circles with 2 are 2-way valves; with 3 are 3-way valves. Not sure if the Seat Jets/Returns need a check valve(s) and/or an H configuration. The Spa/Pool diagrams that I looked at had a Spa Make Up Valve which I don't think makes sense here. Didn't draw in unions, but plan on having them around each piece of equipment.
20 Equipment Layout 1.jpg

Contacted polytech pools today, but the person that I talked to didn't seem too enthusiastic. Told me that if I do DIY, will only get 60 days warranty, which is what I was afraid of. Could just be that they're busy, understaffed right now and/or have a lot of tire-kickers.

Still hoping to hear from the other pool guys that I contacted. In my perfect world, I'd get the equipment, lay it out with almost all the pvc glued so that valves are at good working positions for us (at the head expense of additional elbows) and then have a pro finish it in case I've overlooked something - and to get the better warranty. But I expect that's not how their business models are going to work. :LOL: No matter what, doing the layout helps with the communication.

Was too sore yesterday to dip on the deep end. Guess I'm going to have to add an occassional "rest day" to my time guess. Today was good; got another 4 yard carts full. Found that if I use a bucket as a fulcrum at the pool edge, it's easier to lift a loaded leaf bag out of the water & let it drain before dumping into the cart.

No matter what, doing the layout helps with the communication.
VERY true and smart!!!

Found that if I use a bucket as a fulcrum at the pool edge, it's easier to lift a loaded leaf bag out of the water & let it drain before dumping into the cart.
Working smart!! Good job! Use anything you can to make the job easier for sure!!!

Kim:kim:

Get rid of the 2 way in front of pump you already have a 3 way for drains and skimmer you can shut both lines off there. The solar diverter 2 way isnt needed just add a check valve on down line before it joins the other 3 way path. Make sure to get a solar 3way valve. Its special pentair valve it has a small hole in it with a tiny chek valve that allows solar to drain back down with gravity.

I'm confused. :unsure:

Main/Skimmer 3-way I thought 3-ways could only move 180° like 0° =skimmer only on, 90° =both on, 180° =main only on. Both need to be off to clean the basket because the pump is below the pool water line. Is there a special type of 3-way that does 360°?

Solar Diverter I thought the purpose of this was to limit the flow into the solar array.

Taking note that there's a special 3-way for solar.

Thanks!

You can move a 3 way to dead head both lines. If you are doing it often keep the 2 way there. I'm wondering why you wanna limit the flow to solar? More flow is better for heating the average pump is fine with full flow. What pump will or do you have

The pump size is TBD. I'd asked about that before. At this point, I'd go for the 3 hp max just because... :LOL: Only want to make sure that the flow does not exceed the max supported by the solar panel manufacturer.

Edit: Maybe the flow should be controlled by pump speed selection? My solar docs were from pre-VS pump days.

Edit2: FWIW, was able to see that there are 5 seat jets.

Last edited:
So the flow would be set via automation and that valve isn't needed. Alright! :kim:

I know I don't need a single speed and am planning on a VS, but don't those pumps come with a variety of max hp? That's what I've been trying to determine.

Many thanks.

Edit--------------

This is an example: the Hayward Tristar VS that was mentioned is available as
SP3206VSP 2.7HP
W3SP3202VSP 1.85HP
SP3202VSPND (no HP listed)

Similar with Pentair Intelliflow

Last edited:
Think I'm looking at 2 equipment choices:

Hayward TriStar 950 2.7 HP VS
AquaPlus PL-Plus with T-Cell-15

Pentair Intelliflow VS 3 HP
Pentair Intellicenter 5PIC60 kit
(or i5PSIC60 Kit if makes sense $-wise for 2 actuators)

Looked at the Hayward Omnilogic, but not impressed with the layout.

Don't think there's a problem with either choice for filter, pump, solar and SWG daily operation.

Where I'm getting stuck is the on-demand operation of the in-pool spa-type jets with solar on. From the logical equipment layout discussed earlier in the thread (diagram repeated here), for Solar, there is a single (solar draining) valve that is controlled by automation. The flow to the panels is controlled by setting the pump speed. For the Jets, there is another single automated valve that changes the flow of water returned to the pool from Returns to Jets. Additionally a relay would be used to turn the blower on. The pump speed would be increased for better flow to the jets - emulating the original build of bypassing the filter to increase water pressure. But wait, increasing the pump speed would also increase the flow to solar panels which is not what is wanted. So wouldn't I have to have the valve labelled Solar Diverter (but is actually a flow restriction) that was eliminated in our earlier discussion to control solar flow - and automate it: fully open if no jets or partially open with jets (because of higher pump speed)?

20 Equipment Layout 1.jpg

With the Intellicenter, looks like it'd be straight forward to define the jet valve(s) and blower as features then combine them into a group. The group would control the pump speed, position of the Solar Flow (Solar Diverter) auto valve, Jet auto valve and blower. Probably need to adjust SWG output too.

With the AquaPlus, there's a mention of group, but I couldn't find it defined. Best that I was able to come up with was to define the Spa as the Jets with Solar - kind of what we'd tossed around before but now with the additional auto Solar Flow valve added.

Adding the additional auto valve maxes out both choices if I'm understanding correctly; may have to consider next size up. Adding the wireless to the AquaPlus likely will bump its cost closer to the Intellicenter. Like the Intellicenter layout better, but just depends on availability, warranty & $ of each choice.

From myAZPool's terrific IntelliCenter Quick Reference/Information Guide, looks like the Intellivalve is still not controllable by (Pentair) automation. But using one for the Solar Flow might be easier to fine tune the closure amount?
------------------------

Haven't heard anything from Polytec yet. Saw Wholesale Pool Equipment mentioned someplace on TFP as a possible source for equipment. Anyone know anything about them? They have locations in Arizona and Texas, specifically, Austin TX. But their website says that the Austin warehouse is closed and they're building a new one here in Buda (relevance = dianedebuda) o_O

------------------

Still scooping away. Imagination can run wild seeing bubbles arise when I'm bringing up muck from the depth. Creature from the Black Lagoon not sighted yet though. :D

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.