Review Pool Plumbing Design

I would think about a full size VS pump such as the SP32950VSP. Anything less is not sufficient for strong spa jets.

FYI, one of the frequent issues we see on this forum is weak spa jets thanks to PBs that do not know how to design spas properly. Be very careful. Easy to fix now but very very expensive to fix after the fact.

Easy to fix now but very very expensive to fix after the fact.
That’s where I’m at. I’d rather plan and be overbuilt than under built. Below are my calculations.

8 jets @ 16GPM = 128GPM
3" pipe
Headloss is 39+5 = 44'
So I need 128 GPM at 44' of head.

I can get there about 3200 RPM on the 950.
Looks like the max I can get out of the 900 based on the chart is 115 GPM. Not too far off but that's at max.

Hayward has an HCP30201 in it's XL line that can do 160GPM at 40' of head. But I can't find much about it. I wonder if it's cost prohibitive.

Attachments

• 900 curve.jpg
    900 curve.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 950 curve.jpg
    950 curve.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 4
Keep in mind too that those head loss estimates are based upon a reasonable design so I would have some margin to account for unforseen head loss.

Because of this, I always recommend planning for the "Strong Jets" rather than the moderate. Again, it is easy to back off on RPM but impossible to go above 3450 RPM. The 950 should be able to get close to 19 GPM/jet again assuming a decent plumbing design.

Also, if you want a spa jet without a blower, which I would highly recommend, then you need to do a few things dependent on the grade between the spa and the pump. If the lines go down hill from the spa to the pump, then you will definitely need a Hartford loop in the spa wall or nearby to prevent the air line from filling with water. Most spas that need a blower do so because the PB failed to installed a Hartford loop and there is too much water to clear out using just the venturi jets.

Reactions: StuartBound
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.