Return question plus more

Smittyje1

Aug 3, 2020
Florida Panhandle
I'm sorry for posting a topic that I'm sure many have done before me. I plan on starting a 20x40 vinyl liner pool soon, it will have a standard shallow end with an 8' deep end. Just trying to nail done how many returns I should put in. The pool initially comes with 3 returns, but I plan on adding 2 step jets (6' wide standard steps) and the two main drains and possibly 3-4 deck jets, but because of the size I'm debating if 4 returns..... one on each wall or 5 returns (2 on the wall opposite the skimmers)would be better? Thoughts? Is 5 returns overkill?
Additional info:
Equipment I plan on using:
Pentair Clean & Clear cartridge filter 520 sqft
Pentair VS pump (not sure which model would be best for my pool and features, definitely want an energy star certified model)
Pentair IntelliCenter Kit i5P, IC60, LC (w/ Salt) -- Model Code: 5PIC60

Would the equipment I listed run/circulate the pool optimally? or would not be not enough or too much overkill?

Thanks everyone!!

Last edited:
You mention "opposite the skimmers" - do you have 2 skimmers? If so, it may be best to put the skimmers on opposite walls (diagonal) from each other to create the best skimming action. Then have 1 return on the opposite wall (facing the skimmer) and then have other returns on the adjoining walls to create a good circulation. Furthermore, wind has a lot to do with actual movement of surface debris, thus the skimmers being diagonal allows for changes in wind direction. The deck jets really don't help circulation for picking up debris so focus on actual # of returns and placement of them relative to the skimmers and main drain.
When I am standing in my pool by the steps (shallow end), I have a skimmer to my right and a return on opposite wall to my left. Then in middle I have a return where my main drain is in same line. Then on far end, I have skimmer to my left and a return opposite it on my right. Hope this helps.

You mention "opposite the skimmers" - do you have 2 skimmers? If so, it may be best to put the skimmers on opposite walls (diagonal) from each other to create the best skimming action. Then have 1 return on the opposite wall (facing the skimmer) and then have other returns on the adjoining walls to create a good circulation. Furthermore, wind has a lot to do with actual movement of surface debris, thus the skimmers being diagonal allows for changes in wind direction. The deck jets really don't help circulation for picking up debris so focus on actual # of returns and placement of them relative to the skimmers and main drain.
When I am standing in my pool by the steps (shallow end), I have a skimmer to my right and a return on opposite wall to my left. Then in middle I have a return where my main drain is in same line. Then on far end, I have skimmer to my left and a return opposite it on my right. Hope this helps.

This does help. Thanks!! Now, if I can decide whether or not I should put 4 or 5 returns in.

This does help. Thanks!! Now, if I can decide whether or not I should put 4 or 5 returns in.
One other point. If you can plumb the 2 skimmers independently back to the equipment pad and control each with its own valve, that will give you better control over all to set up the suction of each.
I have 5 returns on a 27x15 pool. 3 on 1 side and 2 on other side and skimmers diagonal from each other.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.