Return PVC Ball Valve dripping/leaking

choots

May 22, 2011
I have an older (2002?) vinyl pool with VS motor pump and Cartridge (Sta-Rite) filter unit, and Spears valves (PVC valves with a separable union). Three returns and shallow and deep skimmer with drain in the deep end, so six valves total. One of the return valves started slow dripping last year, but now it's faster. Best I can find these specific valves aren't made in exactly the same way by Spears anymore, but there are other similar valves out there - Mine have thick, red, removeable handle. Here is a link to something similar - https://torontopoolsupplies.ca/pvc-ball-valve-wpsub015a-single-union-2.html

My pool store doesn't seem to carry them anymore or know much about them. I'm assuming these have a polyethylene gasket at the union and I may need replacement. I'm assuming I can just open up the valve and replace the gasket and close it back up to address the leak? If 'm right, anyone know where I would find the gasket?

I also have a suction side leak, but I need to attempt to find it using the article that is commonly referred to others. If needed I'll post a different thread, but just thought to mention it if it's related.

Thanks,
Choots

There should be an o-ring inside the union. You can plug the line, close the other valves and open the union to inspect the o-ring. If the o-ring is stretched, gummy, or worn it needs to be replaced. If it looks ok or if you replace it put some silicone pool lube on it before closing the union.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.