Fletcher, OH
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Hi there! Our 18x36 vinyl pool build starts next week, and we are beyond excited! Quick question on return placement. I will have 2 skimmers, and have the following questions (see drawing):

- Is 3 returns enough? We will have no water features.
- Should I have them plumb each return back to the pad separately?
- We will have vinyl-covered steps in the pool so that we can close the auto-cover and not have to have a fence. Will I regret not putting a return on the steps? If so, where should I place that one?
- Everything at the pad will be 2", but I just learned they ordered 1.5" skimmers. Should I see if I can get those changed out to 2"
- Anything else I'm missing? Any other suggestions on the plumbing side?

Thanks so much!

Attachments

• img20201030_07150669.jpg
    img20201030_07150669.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 19
3 returns is fine with home runs to the equipment pad.

I don’t think having a return on the steps will make a big difference.

If you intend to have a VS pump running at low speed the 1.5” skimmer will not be a problem. Changing to 2” would be nice if they could.

Reactions: wgipe
3 returns is fine with home runs to the equipment pad.

I don’t think having a return on the steps will make a big difference.

If you intend to have a VS pump running at low speed the 1.5” skimmer will not be a problem. Changing to 2” would be nice if they could.
Thanks, Allen. I put in a text to the PB today to see if they can change that out. May be too late, but it may not matter, as I do intend to run the VS pump running at low speed. There are two, so I suppose that may be why they specified 1.5"? Seems like for the extra few bucks, you'd just make it all 2" and call it a day.

Wes

Size of the piping affects the maximum flow rate you can use. Read...

This is perfect. Thank you. It answers several other questions I had also.

Probably a dumb question - but if it is too late to trade the skimmers for 2", would it help to at least put an adapter to 2" on the bottom of the skimmer and run 2" back to the pad? I will insist on 2" home runs for all returns.

Wes

For your simple pool it really will not make an operational difference.

I would run 2" piping on the suctions side. Changing that from 1.5" will make a difference much greater than changing out the skimmers to 2".

Didn't say that well. 2" skimmers if you can get them easily......no big deal if you don't. 2" piping on the suction side will make enough difference that I would change it for sure.

On the pressure side. 1.5" is perfectly adequate throughout.

I would run 2" piping on the suctions side. Changing that from 1.5" will make a difference much greater than changing out the skimmers to 2".

Didn't say that well. 2" skimmers if you can get them easily......no big deal if you don't. 2" piping on the suction side will make enough difference that I would change it for sure.

On the pressure side. 1.5" is perfectly adequate throughout.
Thanks, Dave. I was thinking I'd read that somewhere, so I think for no more than it costs, I'm going to do it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.