Return leaking after adding plug for winter

Natedana

Nov 2, 2022
Pennsylvania
Hello all,

I am closing my above ground pool for the winter. Second year having a pool. Last year I drained the pool below the return and skimmer. This year, I was trying to not drain the pool per some friends recommendation. I have the rectangular plug in the skimmer and it does not appear to be leaking. I added the plug into the return and I have a super slow drip coming out the valve on the outside of the pool. I tightened the plug more than hand tight and still a slow drip. Pulled the plug and added Teflon tape and reinstalled, hand tight. Still dripping, so I tightened it more still dripping.

Thoughts on next step? The plug has an o-ring. Do I buy a new plug? Drain the pool below and leave the 2 plugs in?

Thanks in advance

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: Please post some pics of your pool, the return in question, and the valve on the outside you noted. Getting our eyes on the situation should help. Also be sure to visit our Pool Care Basics page for all things TFP. Enjoy the forum. :swim:

Is this the threaded plug that goes into the return from the inside of the pool?

The O-ring is what forms the seal. Check the O-Ring for damage / cuts / abrasion.

Also give it a good coat of lube. I use Leslie's Pool Lube, but there are other brands out there.

Reactions: Mdragger88
I use a return plug but I also drain the pool.

I'm not sure how using that plug would make you not have to drain as the ice is still going to be around both the return fitting and most certainly the huge square face of the plug.

It's going to be a bad day if the ice wants to move up or down due to snow, rain etc.

I'm not sure how using that plug would make you not have to drain as the ice is still going to be around both the return fitting and most certainly the huge square face of the plug.

It's going to be a bad day if the ice wants to move up or down due to snow, rain etc.
Inground pools face that scenario every year with no problems. It certainly seems like it would bind the ice, but I’ve never heard of a problem. My guess is once the ice gets that deep, it’s stable.

The only time I had an issue with ice was when I used a rubber stopper type plug that expands instead of a threaded plug. I used to use them when I had a Aqualuminator. They do not have threads. That plug did come out one year.

I don't know what plug you are using, but mine does not have a huge square face. it is maybe and inch by a half inch and protrudes a 1/4" out. In the 10 years I have had this pool I have never drained it below the return, and about 3 years ago I stopped draining it below the skimmer as well. Never had a "bad day" except the one year the non-threaded plug came out. As rain and snow accumulate on the cover, it pushes the water level up anyway. Rain I try to remove. Snow stays on the cover.

Inground pools face that scenario every year with no problems. It certainly seems like it would bind the ice, but I’ve never heard of a problem. My guess is once the ice gets that deep, it’s stable.

In ground pools aren't drained below the skimmers and returns?
I guess my first question is, typically how far down does ice get in most in ground pools.

Last winter my above ground had decently thick ice, but I didn't measure it. A guess would be 12"+. I didn't use a cover, and I'm not this year either.
What I do know for a fact is every time it got above freezing out the ice would start to melt from the top and edges, and that water would go under the ice raising it up. I left my stairs in, which were stuck in the ice so they slowly kept working their way up.

I made sure the ice stayed below the return by siphoning water from the pool, while making sure I didn't let the stairs go too low and touch the bottom. It took work on my part and paying close attention to everything, especially the stairs.

Last edited:
In ground pools aren't drained below the skimmers and returns?
I guess my first question is, typically how far down does ice get in most in ground pools.

Last winter my above ground had decently thick ice, but I didn't measure it. A guess would be 12"+. I didn't use a cover, and I'm not this year either.
What I do know for a fact is every time it got above freezing out the ice would start to melt from the top and edges, and that water would go under the ice raising it up. I left my stairs in, which were stuck in the ice so they slowly kept working their way up.

I made sure the ice stayed below the return by siphoning water from the pool, while making sure I didn't let the stairs go too low and touch the bottom. It took work on my part and paying close attention to everything, especially the stairs.
Usually you drain below the skimmer, but not the returns. The water in the pool keeps the walls supported and it’s not nearly as easy to drain an inground in cold weather so water eventually reaches the skimmer again. Even the skimmer isn’t sealed. Standard practice is a gizmo (real name) in the skimmer port, some closed cell foam around it and an antifreeze bottle wedging the weir fully open.

Usually you drain below the skimmer, but not the returns. The water in the pool keeps the walls supported and it’s not nearly as easy to drain an inground in cold weather so water eventually reaches the skimmer again. Even the skimmer isn’t sealed. Standard practice is a gizmo (real name) in the skimmer port, some closed cell foam around it and an antifreeze bottle wedging the weir fully open.

But bad stuff happens if Gizmo gets wet.

• Haha
Reactions: Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hello all,

I am closing my above ground pool for the winter. Second year having a pool. Last year I drained the pool below the return and skimmer. This year, I was trying to not drain the pool per some friends recommendation. I have the rectangular plug in the skimmer and it does not appear to be leaking. I added the plug into the return and I have a super slow drip coming out the valve on the outside of the pool. I tightened the plug more than hand tight and still a slow drip. Pulled the plug and added Teflon tape and reinstalled, hand tight. Still dripping, so I tightened it more still dripping.

Thoughts on next step? The plug has an o-ring. Do I buy a new plug? Drain the pool below and leave the 2 plugs in?

Thanks in advance
I use a device called gizmo in the skimmer drain thread's that keeps the skimmer from cracking when water freezes. I use rubber plug such is used on a boat drain hole in the return hole of pool plus leave the return hose on just tie it to top of pool in case plug comes out.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221109-193708_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20221109-193708_Chrome.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 4
How much can it really go up. The volume of water that is getting under the ice is the same (less, actually given ice is less dense than water) as the volume that the ice is shrinking. Granted some of it is coming from the edges, but how much can that contribute. The volume of water (in either liquid or solid state) is not going to change drastically as the ice cap melts.

How much can it really go up. The volume of water that is getting under the ice is the same (less, actually given ice is less dense than water) as the volume that the ice is shrinking. Granted some of it is coming from the edges, but how much can that contribute. The volume of water (in either liquid or solid state) is not going to change drastically as the ice cap melts.

That's actually a good point...
I think I was confusing my steps going up for the ice going up.

They're two completely different things.
I'm not sure why I did that.

There is a brand Gizzmo that uses that spelling, but generally it is gizmo
Ha. Then one of them comes from a country that doesn't respect our trademark laws. Imagine me building a new vehicle named a Foord ? It'd never happen unless I couldn't be sued. :ROFLMAO:

Ha. Then one of them comes from a country that doesn't respect our trademark laws. Imagine me building a new vehicle named a Foord ? It'd never happen unless I couldn't be sued. :ROFLMAO:

But gizmo is a word. And a word that is descriptive of the actual thing.

It is as if I made a product you can use to easily clean your leaf rake and called it a "Thingg" and then other companies started selling a "thing". It is a thing.

Reactions: Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.