Retesting order question....

Jun 6, 2018
Parkersburg, WV
Got my new test kit (K-2006C) Saturday and did first test on Sunday....below are the results of that test. My first question is since none of my tests are showing in the range they should be (or at least I don't think they are) which test would you suggest that I retest first and then in what order after that.

Also FYI the CYA might be way off because I did the test outside but on my porch and also my eye sight isn't very good so I'm wondering since there wasn't any sun on my porch and my eye sight isn't too good that the black dot might have faded away quicker because of those two things. Is that possible? Been wanting to retest but as I said not sure which one to start with and also it has been rainy and cloudy the last couple days so trying to wait for a real sunny day........any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!!

FC 2.8
CC .8
PH 7.8 (I think lol)
TA 240 (I think...It didn't turn to pink it turned clear)
CH 180
CYA 100 (maybe more...black dot disappeared pretty quickly)

Tamitha, your CYA is critical right now. Since it appears to be very high, I would recommend doing the CYA diluted test as seen on the Pool School - CYA page starting at Step 8. Let us know what you get.

CYA Testing:
Proper lighting is critical for the CYA test, so you want to test for CYA outside on a bright sunny day. Taylor recommends standing outside with your back to the sun and the view tube in the shade of your body. Use the mixing bottle to combine/gently mix the required amounts of pool water and R-0013 reagent, let sit for 30 seconds, then gently mix again. Then, while holding the skinny tube with the black dot at waist level, begin squirting the mixed solution into the skinny tube. Watch the black dot until it completely disappears. If it helps, pour a little, look away, then look back and pour some more. Once it disappears, record the CYA reading. After the first test, you can pour the mixed solution from the skinny view tube back to the mixing bottle, shake, and do the same test a second, third, or fourth time to instill consistency in your technique, become more comfortable with the testing, and validate the CYA reading. If you are still questioning your own results, have a friend or two do the same test 2-3 times. Share your results only after everyone is done to see if you came up with the same average results.

At the same time, while we don't like to waste chemicals, your FC is very low. You should add some bleach ASAP to get it up to at least 5, even around 8 or so would be okay.

- - - Updated - - -

Once you confirm your CYA from the diluted test, it will tell you how much water you should exchange to lower the CYA.

Tamitha, your CYA is critical right now. Since it appears to be very high, I would recommend doing the CYA diluted test as seen on the Pool School - CYA page starting at Step 8. Let us know what you get.

At the same time, while we don't like to waste chemicals, your FC is very low. You should add some bleach ASAP to get it up to at least 5, even around 8 or so would be okay.

- - - Updated - - -

Once you confirm your CYA from the diluted test, it will tell you how much water you should exchange to lower the CYA.

Okay well since my outside lighting was not good the day I die this test I am going to try to do it again on Thursday (supposed to rain all day tomorrow ugh) and see what I get. I think it will be a better reading. Hopefully alot better.

Will let you know. Thanks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.