Retaining wall for semi-inground pool before backfill

vinsam

May 19, 2021
Long Island, NY
Hello, We are in Long Island, NY and our semi-inground pool from pool factory(Melenia model) is being installed in a couple of weeks. The installer is recommending we put up a retaining wall made of pressure treated wood after pool install before backfill so that the backfill doesn’t sit against the pool wall. He doesn’t do it himself but suggested we contact a handyman. I am having a tough time visualizing what it would like so I can describe it correctly to the person who will do the work. Is it made of plywood? The install guy said it can just be 2x4 with a rebar stuck into the ground. But I am not clear on how that will prevent the soil from going in between the spaces and touching the pool wall. It is not going to be visible outside so we don’t need to worry about the aesthetics of it.
If anyone here has done something similar, and can show me pictures or links, I would really appreciate it.
thanks
Vinaya

Thanks for the pictures, cowboycasey. Do you think these walls will work in-ground also?
I know the price of wood is insane these days with no signs of coming down. But, wouldn’t freezing and heaving be a concern with retaining blocks? The first pic with railroad ties(?) looks like a feasible option. Thoughts?

I would not want to see the price on rail road ties right now, might have to take a new mortgage out on the house..

Retaining wall blocks are exactly what should be used, it will hold the dirt back and not rot out after a few years...

Yep, retaining wall blocks (when installed properly) allow water to seep through but hold back all the dirt. If you use the hollow type from Home Depot, make sure any hollow spaces inside are filled with rock to lock them together. They also make solid block which are heavier and are pinned together that I prefer. If it’s more than a foot or so tall, have someone experienced in it do the work.

Reactions: cowboycasey
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.