Restoring a buried pool

Status
Not open for further replies.
20k is still cheaper then 50k+ for a new one.
When did this turn into a “Let’s talk her out of it” thread?
It’s her pool, her adventure, and her money, let’s lend her some support and encouragement.

I for one and looking forward to watching the progress on this pool rehab.
I am not trying to talk her out of it, on the opposite if I had a situation like her, I would un-dig it too. I am just trying to bring up the possible costs so that the OP knows and there are no surprises. I am going through a new pool build at this moment and I know that it is not cheap o_O.

20k is still cheaper then 50k+ for a new one.
When did this turn into a “Let’s talk her out of it” thread?
It’s her pool, her adventure, and her money, let’s lend her some support and encouragement.

I for one and looking forward to watching the progress on this pool rehab.
AZ ROB,

No I think she has a great idea, however I do not think she fully understands how much dirt is in that pool.

BradyB, post some pic's of the back yard, I am interested to see where you planning to use all this fill dirt! I can almost bet you it will not be of planting quality.

John

AZ ROB,

No I think she has a great idea, however I do not think she fully understands how much dirt is in that pool.

BradyB, post some pic's of the back yard, I am interested to see where you planning to use all this fill dirt! I can almost bet you it will not be of planting quality.

John
I am not trying to talk her out of it, on the opposite if I had a situation like her, I would un-dig it too. I am just trying to bring up the possible costs so that the OP knows and there are no surprises. I am going through a new pool build at this moment and I know that it is not cheap o_O.

My apologies to both of you then. Your posts came across (to me) as trying to talk her out of it. :cheers:

Projects like this one are very interesting to me, I love seeing old structures brought back to life. I’ve seen some very cool pool restoration projects, that turned buried pools from the 60’s and 70’s into modern/retro works of art.

Reactions: gonfishin
AZ ROB,

John

Probably not, but it is likely better than what is already there. We live in the desert and most of the yard is scruffy with caliche if you dig down (I should not run into that digging out the pool like I did digging out our current yard). We shall see. There are many unknowns. I don't think the pool is very big. We are planning to make an offer on the place on Monday. If they accept our offer, we will have a big project on our hands. If I have unusable dirt, I will get rid of it. I just don't know if that will be necessary since most of our yard could use some dirt that is not compacted into almost cement-like ground.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
At least you found out NOW!!! We had one a couple of summers ago where they brought the house/pool and moved in. It was only after they started doing repairs that they found ALL of the MANY things wrong with the house and pool. They were able to get out of the house using a lawyer but it took a lot of time and heartache :(

The digging out by hand doesn't phase me. I like digging and I am looking forward to seeing what I uncover. Last winter in the span of 2.5 weeks, I dug out and moved about 18 cubic yards of soil and wrestled with many tree roots in my yard and I only had an old shovel and a bucket. I know this will take a lot longer, but I will make sure to get a new shovel and a wheelbarrow.
Too bad you live in California because you are just the same type of guy as my husband. He loves to do things himself to learn and loves the challenge of physical, outdoor work because he's stuck inside all day. Best of luck to you! Would love to see before and after pictures, too.

You and myself are simialar animals. The excitement of unearthing lost treasure overwhelms the physical aches and pains. Feel all Indiana Jones like, just in my backyard not the Middle East.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.