Resourt pool will not keep chlorine ! please help!

Jul 6, 2012
I work For a resourt with a pool that has 273,000 gallons the pool company that took care of it before i was hired did not do their job at all i tested everything and it was all low! I am starting to get Everything back to Normal But i cant seem to keep chlorine in the pool. We use Trichlor 3 inch tablets i will add 30 tablets to the pool and come in the next morning and barely be able to see any color when the FC is tested. the pool is starting to grow black alage on the walls any help will be greatly appreciated !

As of right now my testing is.

FC..5 If I am Lucky
PH.7.2-7.4 Varies
TA.50
CH.150

You need to test the CYA level. Also please provide more detail about the pool by editing your signature and typing the info there. Include pool type (above ground or in ground), surface (vinyl, plaster, or fiberglass), size in gallons, pump brand and horsepower, filter type (sand, DE, or cartridge), filter brand and size, and any water features, cleaning systems, and if there is a spa (attached or detatched).

Cya test was done and its soo low that the test tube was completely filled and i could still see the black dot. also the pool is sand filtered no spas attached their on their own system also the pool is plater and it is 272,000 gallons with a Mushroom water feature.

You need to raise the calcium up to about 250 ppm. If you have visible algae then you need to take the pool through the shock process. If you are allowed to have CYA in a public pool then you should raise it to 30 ppm. If local ordinances prohibit CYA, then you need to use liquid chlorine to dose the pool according to the pool calculator.

bmoney23,

You need to shock the pool. read "How to Shock Your Pool" up in Pool School and follow that procedure precisely.

Bring your CYA up to around 20-30 first, then start the shock process.

doesn't this run into possible regulations due to it being as public pool?

You may not be allowed to raise the CYA as suggested.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone ;)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
depends on your CYA level.

Have you determine the legality of using CYA in the public pool in your area?

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone ;)

With a CYA of 30ppm, your shock value (refer to the FC/CYA chart in pool school) is 12ppm. Importantly, you must hold that 12ppm value by constant testing and redosing until your FC demand has diminished to less than 1ppm overnight.

Do not start until your CYA has been added.

read "How to Shock Your Pool" up in Pool School

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.