Requesting input on Tweaking water chemistry

SherrieDee

Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Aug 28, 2017
San Antonio
Hello,

This is my second year managing our pool on my own. Using TF-100 test kit. Today’s results are as follow:

FC. 4.0
CC. 1.0
TA. 70
pH. 7.2
CH. 600
CYA. 40
Water temp. 81 F

Have very hard water here and would prefer to manage with higher CH, if possible. Drained half last year but didn’t have much of an effect on CH afterwards.

Thanks for your input.

Sherrie

The high CC is worrisome.

Did you just pull the cover off so the sun has not had time to break the CC down? Or did you add something that may have MPS "nonchlorine shock" in it? That'll mess up the CC test.

How does the water look? Clear, hazy, cloudy, green, black, gooey?

600 CH is manageable, if you keep the pH at the low end of normal and keep TA down. Play with PoolMath a little to see what you need to do and keep the CSI between -.3 and +.3 and you'll be fine. I've done it for years.

What is the CH of your fill water? High CH fill water will not show much of a difference.

As an example (made up round numbers for clarity).

CH of pool 1,000
CH or fill water 500

So, if you replaced 100% of the water, your CH would still be 500. Change 50% of your water and it would only go down to 750.

Plus, many folks have a difficult time "estimating" what 50% of the water really looks like.

Hello,

This is my second year managing our pool on my own. Using TF-100 test kit. Today’s results are as follow:

FC. 4.0
CC. 1.0
TA. 70
pH. 7.2
CH. 600
CYA. 40
Water temp. 81 F

Have very hard water here and would prefer to manage with higher CH, if possible. Drained half last year but didn’t have much of an effect on CH afterwards.

Thanks for your input.

Sherrie
The high CC is worrisome.

Did you just pull the cover off so the sun has not had time to break the CC down? Or did you add something that may have MPS "nonchlorine shock" in it? That'll mess up the CC test.

How does the water look? Clear, hazy, cloudy, green, black, gooey?

600 CH is manageable, if you keep the pH at the low end of normal and keep TA down. Play with PoolMath a little to see what you need to do and keep the CSI between -.3 and +.3 and you'll be fine. I've done it for years.

Used no cover...treat through winter (I like to view the pool through my window year round ?).

Water is crystal clear. I’ve been swimming for two weeks but debating about the high CH and drain vs no drain.

I use only bleach, MA, baking soda and stabilizer.

What is the CH of your fill water? High CH fill water will not show much of a difference.

As an example (made up round numbers for clarity).

CH of pool 1,000
CH or fill water 500

So, if you replaced 100% of the water, your CH would still be 500. Change 50% of your water and it would only go down to 750.

Plus, many folks have a difficult time "estimating" what 50% of the water really looks like.

Fill water CH is 350

Another local. :wave: Looks like the Edwards aquifer isn't doing you any favors. :) Since your water is crystal, and the sun just broke through following this morning's storms, let the sun try to oxidize those CC. In the meantime, I would increase the FC to about 7-8 for today if you can. It might just need a little help. Test the CC again later this evening. If tomorrow the CC is still elevated, maintain a higher FC level again, but consider doing an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test tomorrow evening.

As for the CH Continue to use the regular bleach. Keep your pH no more than 7.5. Warmer water + elevated CH = scale. If you have anymore questions, let us know. :swim:

Something to consider in the future, on the rare occasions we can count on the weather prediction to hit us with a day or two of really heavy TX rain, drain some water in advance. Then let Mother Nature refill your pool for free with soft water.

Fill water CH is 350

As Pat said, rainwater may be the answer. If there is any way you can capture "extra" rainwater and direct it into the pool it would help. When my CYA was 250+ I used a downspout adaptor that is normally used for a rain barrel to direct the rainwater from my roof into the pool. You could get extra free soft water.

I've always wondered that. There is no issue with taking water from your roof and redirect it to the pool? Long before I had a pool, I dug a pond. I always wanted to run the downspout near it so I could fill it up with water from the roof.

I've always wondered that. There is no issue with taking water from your roof and redirect it to the pool? Long before I had a pool, I dug a pond. I always wanted to run the downspout near it so I could fill it up with water from the roof.
I do it. I have a downspout just a few feet from the spa. I let the first hour or so go -- it's usually really dirty. Then the rest goes into the spa, which acts as a settling basin. The overflow goes into the pool. I usually pump the spa into the pool, then empty the pool down and let the spa fill. After the storm, I run the filter on the spa only and it clears up any dust. Then I just let it run normal and the water all mixes. I just wish this particular downspout handles more roog. As it is, I get about 3X the rain. So 1" of rain equals 3"in my pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I do it. I have a downspout just a few feet from the spa. I let the first hour or so go -- it's usually really dirty. Then the rest goes into the spa, which acts as a settling basin. The overflow goes into the pool. I usually pump the spa into the pool, then empty the pool down and let the spa fill. After the storm, I run the filter on the spa only and it clears up any dust. Then I just let it run normal and the water all mixes. I just wish this particular downspout handles more roog. As it is, I get about 3X the rain. So 1" of rain equals 3"in my pool.
If you ever get a chance to takes some pictures, I'd love to see how you made the connections.

Originally I connected a few of these
049821850197.jpg

After a few seasons laying out in the sun, they developed splits in some pleats. So now I use this length of vacuum sealer bag cable-tied on. There's a knee-high nylon stretched over the end to catch shingle grit.
dspout.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.