Reporting in on testing and results...

Jun 10, 2018
Kihei HI
I posted a thread called "Can wind raise pH?" about a month ago and got great assistance and feedback.
My pH was always rising and my testing habits were very shabby... I am getting better at this but it takes commitment!
My pool has been looking very clear, and no more days of dumping what I "thought" or "felt" should go into the pool...

By listening to the experts on the forum, I have been testing daily/every other day my pH and FC for about a month.
I have been very precise in using poolmath calculator and measuring chemicals and have gotten much better expected test results.
I added the poolmath app, and use it everytime I go near the pool now...very helpful. Just learned more about the app today.

A few things I still need answers to.

1) I just added my full results today on my log, and you can see that over time my TA has dropped from 100 to 60.
As hoped for. This should help stabilize the pH, although, it keeps rising, but more slowly, so I think I am good there. Correct?
Where should my target pH be now? MKnauss suggested I believe 7.8? Right MKnauss?

2) My CYA is still in the 30-40 range, it was suggested I raise it to 50 because I am in Hawaii.
I have added dichlor a couple times, but I think I still need to add more to help with the amount of FC daily loss. Correct?

3) I have been adding MA to lower my pH to about 7.0 every couple days to lower TA (which it has). Am I now in a range where I should try and keep pH at 7.8? Is that acceptable?
(See #1 above)

4) Also, I noticed today my CH is up to 425, and it has been very stable in the past at 350...what happens to pool chemistry with higher CH? Should I do anything about this now?
I wonder why the sudden rise in CH?

Thanks so much!!!

Can you add a pool water temperature to your PoolMath log? You may have to go into Setup and say Track Temperature.
A pH of 7.8 is good.
The use of dichlor will raise your CYA slowly, and it also acidic. So use it knowing its effects.
Your CH should not change unless you are adding fill water with calcium or you are using cal hypo. What is your fill water CH?

Can you add a pool water temperature to your PoolMath log? You may have to go into Setup and say Track Temperature.
A pH of 7.8 is good.
The use of dichlor will raise your CYA slowly, and it also acidic. So use it knowing its effects.
Your CH should not change unless you are adding fill water with calcium or you are using cal hypo. What is your fill water CH?
Thanks for that. I haven't ever felt a need to use a thermometer in my pool, so I would need to get one, what the reason here for tracking pool temp? FC loss?
Also you asked me about my fill water chemistry a while ago, and I tested, but cant find results, so I will retest. If CH is in normal range, I will empty recommended pool water, re-fill, and re-balance all.
I didn't know that Dichlor will add acid- good to know. I have a container of granular "Biogard Stabilizer"- essentially CYA, I may add correct amount to get CYA to 50.
(after I get my CH in recommended range.
So-final three questions....

What level of CH can begin harming the pool? What would be some harmful effects?
Is adding powdered stabilizer acceptable, any side effects (like how the dichlor added acid... kind of thing..)?
Why add a themometer?

Thanks again!

You should turn on the temp tracking, so CSI will calculate. Then enter one reading at your approximate temperature and then you'll never need to enter it again. Temp is required for CSI but over your temp range in HI, it will have nil effect on CSI.

Here are the Fill Water test results (and I contacted my Dept of Water supply -DWS- to see how close they were to me).
pH was 7.2- DWS said they shoot for 7.2-7.9
FC was 2- DWS said they shoot for 1-1.5
CH was 125- DWS says they shoot for 100-150

I just retested CH from pool and I got a reading of maybe 375, for sure 400- so I'm thinking maybe I had a bad/faulty test last week when it hit 425...

Should I test for anything else in my Fill Water? I think I'm good for now...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.