Replastering gunnite pool

Sep 6, 2018
San Antonio
Hello out there! I am getting bids on replastering a 15,000 gallon pool in San Antonio TX. I have had 2 smaller companies tell me only soft plaster needs to be chipped out prior to replaster and one large company tell me ALL old plaster must be removed. which is correct???

I would prefer to have it all chipped out. If there are some areas of the old plaster that are delaminating now, what is to stop more from doing so in the future and in the process putting your new surface at risk?

Hello out there! I am getting bids on replastering a 15,000 gallon pool in San Antonio TX. I have had 2 smaller companies tell me only soft plaster needs to be chipped out prior to replaster and one large company tell me ALL old plaster must be removed. which is correct???

Hi again, AF. I'm stalking your posts!! ;)

You might find it more efficient to keep all your posts about your remodel project in one thread. That way, you can find all your answers in one place, and people helping you can, too.

In retrospect, I can now appreciate the fact that my replaster company never gave me this option. They chipped it all out, as if that was standard. It was never even discussed. Which makes me think that is the best way to do it. Did the estimates from the two "smaller companies" reflect their "shortcut" approach? And what, exactly, does "soft plaster" mean? Who determines that, them? And how is that determined? Seems risky, unless they're offering their solution for half the cost (so you could afford to get it done twice!).

In other words, do it right, do it once. Full chip out.

How old is your pool? Mine wasn't all that old, but my returns were just bare pipe ends. The replaster company took the initiative (again, without even discussing it with me), to chip out the plaster and enough gunite around my old returns to add threaded ends onto which they attached adjustable eyeballs. Nice touch, and another indicator that this company "did it right." Do your returns have eyeballs? If not, those can be added during this replaster job.

Theoretically, you could remodel your pool some. Add a bench, reconfigure steps, etc. Something to consider, if budget allows...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.