Replastered pool discoloration... thoughts?

Jun 6, 2010
Garland, TX
IMG_0066.JPG

New plaster in Dallas beginning to show mottled appearance. I had the pool re-plastered last Labor day and am looking forward to finally using it for Memorial day. Unfortunately I noticed a not great trend as the mottling is showing up everywhere.
Its hard for me to say exactly when this began because with the pool running (which is how I see it almost always) its not noticeable.

This is upsetting to say the least. Having never gotten a pool re-plastered I didn't know what to expect. The process in the Dallas area, and this may be true of most everywhere, but in Dallas after talking on the phone an older white hippy guy shows up at your door and sells the job. I didnt need selling because having done my due diligence looking at BBB and Google recommendations among others I was confident in this company. At any rate he sold me a re-plaster job on a 14,000 gallon in ground pool. He was really pushing for me to upgrade to adding some sort of blue crystals that are embedded in the plaster and I told him no thanks, that was an extra $1000 I didnt feel like I needed to spend.

So the old hippy dude sells me the job and a few days later a father and son team came to retile the coping. That should have been my clue. The father took one look at the pool and said "theres nothing wrong with that tile". He was wrong, many of the tiles were cracked, but I chose to just stay out of his way as he seemed to be having a grumpy day. A couple days later a big truck with a big hispanic crew that spoke no English showed up and re-plastered the pool over the course of several hours. I mention this only because I had no way to ask questions, the crew seemed to know what to do and immediately went to work doing it. I would have preferred that the old hippy be there to manage, but he was not and he did not.

By late afternoon the last trowel left the pool and within 30 minutes more or less they had started filling the pool with water. They left with the pool filling, without telling me anything and by the next day it was full. The old hippy had a guy come over the next day and start up the pool and at that time (if memory serves) he poured an additive in the pool that I had paid extra for that was supposed to seal the new plaster. The old hippy dude told me that it saved me having to brush over and over again, he said he would send his guy back out the next day after adding the additive to brush the pool, and thats exactly what happened. He said that was all the brushing (except obviously for routine brushing) that was required.

I didnt hear much from the old hippy dude because apparently he was working a real big job, or at least thats what he told me and when I finally could reach him he apologized for not following up on his crews work but he said he'd been real busy with that big job.
After his guy brushed it that was pretty much it, I didnt see the old hippy again. He called and asked if I was happy and I said yes, because I was, and he asked me to drop a check in the mail because he was really busy with that big job. So I did.

Everything looked fine until maybe a month ago when the pool happened to be off and I noticed the discoloration. My concern is the trend. It went from not noticeable to noticeable in a few months, whats it going to look like in a year?
I havent contacted this guy yet, Im just so tired of this sort of thing. So maybe just live with it?

Did I mention Im still paying on the remodel loan?

With the pool running nobodys the wiser, so I probably will just live with it. Im just perplexed at the fact that it was fine for months through the winter and just now it shows its ugly face, whats that all about?
I have been adding a bunch of stabilizer trying to get the level up for the summer but thats the only thing ive done even slightly different recently.
Its a salt pool and I keep the PH and chlorine levels ideal, Im retired and have plenty of time to monitor and adjust so its not for a lack of effort or attention. It looked beautiful for 6 months. Cant figure it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.