Replastered in April......test results from the past 3 months..what are my concerns?

4x4tx

Jul 23, 2007
Greater Houston
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Replastered with quartzscapes in super blue back in mid april....attached are all my test results since then....

I have drained some water out of my pool twice in the past two weeks....still having PH issues and calcium still wants to increase.....CYA is on the high side too I guess...ive gone thru more acid in the last 3 months than I used in years....

I took these pics a couple of weeks ago of two spots on my plaster already.....

I have been using leslies for testing but just ordered a refill kit for my TF test kit...

My question is what do i need to attack first... Where do I start to get this back undercontrol....so frustrated

Attachments

• pool test.JPG
    pool test.JPG
    52 KB · Views: 79
Your biggest problem in your climbing CYA. How do you chlorinate your pool?

pH rising as plaster cures is normal. What is the TA of your fill water?

Where are you located?

Get your TF-100 and post your own test results and we can discuss next steps. We don’t make chemistry adjustments based on pool store tests, especially Leslie.

Last edited:
Ok thanks....have not tested fill water.

Located in Houston Tx Area....

I use leslies tabs...have a inline tab feeder which doesnt always work well so added two floating tab holders..one in my spa and one in the main pool.

You are going to need to stop using tabs to stop your rising CYA and use liquid chlorine to chlorinate your pool. Your CYA is getting to the unmanageable level.

I suggest you read ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

ok...i thought rising CYA was only issue after years of use.....not 3 months of tab use

All depends how many tabs you are using. The CYA test tells all. Although I don't trust Leslie test so wait to take action until you do your own CYA test.

ok thanks...so switching over to bleach...the pool math app tells you how much to add i assume? I mean what kind of supply of bleach do you need to keep on hand? I am going on vacation for a week starting sunday so how should i prepare for being away a week?

Do you have anyone who can add some of the bleach for you daily or every other day while you are gone?

I have a 20k gallon pool and add about a half gallon a day, for typical usage ideas.

Well you are boxed into a corner now. Vacation time is when we can see tabs being used. Usually pools can take a bit more CYA.

I think you should continue using your tabs. When you get back you can deal with your pool. I suspect you will end up needing to drain about 40% of your pool so a bit more CYA is not going to make a difference.

Lots of threads here about where to find liquid chlorine. Local members can help you.

Ok thanks...so in speaking of draining the pool....is the only way to do this is putting in cleaner hose, turning valves to that one skimmer and then leaving end of hose in deeper part of the pool? I am not clear if my my drains on the bottom of the pool actual drain or not...im never drained too far below skimmer line

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok thanks...so in speaking of draining the pool....is the only way to do this is putting in cleaner hose, turning valves to that one skimmer and then leaving end of hose in deeper part of the pool? I am not clear if my my drains on the bottom of the pool actual drain or not...im never drained too far below skimmer line

@mknauss can provide a water exchange method.

We don’t recommend using the pool pump to drain the pool. The pump can be quickly damaged if it runs dry. Use a submersible pump or rent a pump.

You can exchange some water without draining.

If you place a low volume sub pump in the deep end and pull water from there while adding water in the shallow end (through a skimmer or into a bucket on a step so you lessen the water disturbance) you can do a fairly efficient exchange. That is assuming the water you are filling with is the same temperature or warmer than your pool water. If your fill water is much cooler than your pool water, then switch it. Add the water to the deep end (hose on bottom) and pull water from the top step.

The location of the pump and fill hose may change if you have salt water, high calcium, etc.
In my pool, with saltwater and high calcium when I drain, I put the pump in the deep end and hose in shallow end. The water in the pool weighs more per unit volume than the fill water from the hose.

Be sure to balance the water out and water in so the pool level stays the same. Also be sure your pool pump is disabled during this process. Once started do not stop until you have exchanged the amount of water you wish.

Reactions: 4x4tx
Ok thanks..will drain when I get back if needed... I pulled out my old test kit today..what do you guys think here?

Also I have all of my skimmers blowing up creating water tension, after reading pool school this “aerating” could be making my oh issue worse? I already have a spa overflow feature

Attachments

• CB2685AC-C86D-4973-B340-475711BCFD23.jpeg
    CB2685AC-C86D-4973-B340-475711BCFD23.jpeg
    261.4 KB · Views: 43
You don’t want your returns to be creating ripples like that. Point them straight or down.

Ok adjusted those down tonight......also added some acid per pool math to lower my ph to 7.4.

Good news bad news .....my pool was fairly low so added 2-3" which should help I guess with water but bad news I think the reason my pool is low is that my multiport valve is leaking...........in filter i can hear a dribble in my waste line so guess I need to order one of those.....there isnt any o ring or anything to replace first is there before having to replace the whole valve?

There is a spider gasket in the MPV that can be replaced. What model number in your MPV?

My label has peeled off but i think this is the same one..I can see the handle gasket moving when I turn the handle as well..looks like it dry rotted as my valve is in the sun...tried attaching photo off computer of new valve but says it’s too big....here is a link

Attachments

• 7554FD9B-2BDE-4B42-BE40-14A0F1613AC6.jpeg
    7554FD9B-2BDE-4B42-BE40-14A0F1613AC6.jpeg
    303.2 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
I hate to ask this question as I am scared of the answer...but based on the pics on that link I posted from my other thread, does that mean my plaster is already permanently damaged or are these dark spots showing up due to my calcium hardness and ph being out of whack? If so is there anything I can do to restore the my plaster to look uniform?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.