Replaster issues?

Apr 29, 2018
Medford, OR
Hi all--
I've been using TFP for a while to help me understand chemistry, which I've maintained myself for the four years we've been in this house. Here's a bit of background:

25000 Gallon In-Ground Pool
Salt-Water Generator

Our pool/home were built in the 70s. When we purchased the home the pool had been painted blue, and over the course of a few summers we started seeing the paint degrade, and last summer missing chunks of plaster started appearing. It was clear it was time for a replaster.

We live in Southern Oregon so options are few on replaster companies. We settled on one who had done the local swim club's pool and worked with a local chemical-supply shop. Nice guy, and despite being a little scattershot on the communication end, we were happy with his quote to retile and replaster the pool, and have it done in time for summer.

Work began in February. Pool was drained and prep work began. Here are some before pictures so you can see what things looked like:
39977674300_558dddf475_m.jpg

40885568815_916c950f08_m.jpg
39977669990_4c6a550939_m.jpg
39977690320_e3ab8c4a5f_m.jpg

Prep work:
41784656471_3eda93d3aa_m.jpg

39977689980_49a8bfda51_m.jpg

41784669501_97d4747b53_m.jpg

41784672661_362d99ff03_m.jpg

41784661741_c161d73306_m.jpg

New tile put on:
41784673781_7a444a6292_m.jpg

41784674791_5c8194c63f_m.jpg

There were several long periods of delay because of the weather here. On March 7 the bond coat was put on:
41067492994_84970a8ff9_m.jpg

41784673781_7a444a6292_m.jpg

41784656921_90db760e74_m.jpg

After several weather-related delays, replaster day finally came last week on April 23. Our water table was causing the pool to "fill" a little bit so they put in a pump system to pull out ground water so the pool would be dry while they plastered:
39977680250_d96675c0ac_m.jpg

41784676141_fc21198f07_m.jpg

41784665131_d4dd13ca23_m.jpg

Later that evening two guys came back and removed the pump, put on the drain caps (we had to have a second drain added to bring it to code), and started filling:
39977689140_843aa49bdd_m.jpg

Took about 18 hours to completely fill, and I was instructed to begin brushing it 2-3 times a day once it was full. I completely cleaned all filter elements and go the pump up and running with no problems. Upon the first brushing I noticed some spots that would not move when brushed over, but attributed it to my crappy brush. The next day I had the chemical gal come out to help me get things set up. I too showed her these spots and the guy who brushed the pool (with a much better brush that I then purchased) also pointed them out. She told me that it's possible that debris blew in as the pool was filling and set into the plaster, but that it's not her area of expertise. As I've continued brushing the pool 2-3 times a day, I have seen a few areas where this is occuring. It basically looks like the debris you'd sweep away, but it just doesn't move when you brush it. Unfortunately it's difficult to get clear pictures of, but it's worse in the shallow end.

I have the plaster guy coming out tomorrow or Tuesday to inspect, but I'm really in unknown territory here. Am I unreasonable to expect a perfectly white pool? If debris getting into the pool as it filled/cured was an issue, shouldn't plants have been tarped over? The pool covered while filling? If debris is set into the plaster, will a coarser brush remove it, or will it come loose over time? Any help or information I can get so that I can approach the meeting with the plasterer is much appreciated. If it's not reasonable, I don't want to be handed a line that "these things happen sometimes" and that's that. Overall we are very happy with the job but these spots seem troublesome to me.
Thanks!

Attachments

• 01eab87dcb0127d49d8c1ae0e82f5951fd31acebec.jpg
    01eab87dcb0127d49d8c1ae0e82f5951fd31acebec.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 116
  • 01b62d4de933cd0540bc8800f7330a088a0d6a40a3.jpg
    01b62d4de933cd0540bc8800f7330a088a0d6a40a3.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 115
No, sorry. Those last two big pictures were inserted for some reason. The last and only picture of the final plaster is the one with the hoses in the deep end. I've attempted to take photos of what I'm seeing, this is the best I could get.

31241835_10211445762961111_97880657_o.jpg

Well like I said the pool guy who brushed it noticed what I was talking about, so it's definitely not just something that I can see. My wife sees it as well, and for the $11k we spent on the job we feel like these sorts of things really shouldn't be there.

As I said, it looks like an area that needs to be brushed, but when you brush it the spots remain. The pool is way too cold for me to get in and look at up close so it's tough to diagnose, but I don't think it's algae or anything like that as it was evident as soon as I first brushed the pool after filling.

I am in a similar boat to you - older gunite pool, that was painted a few years ago. I am still in the process of finding a vendor but its looking closer to $30,000.

Did they sandblast the old paint off prior to replastering? I know that is an option, not a 'normal' part of the job but I wouldnt want to skip the sandblasting based on what I read.

Again - not an expert but I thought I read something about the pool needing to be filled all at the same time for curing - did you fill it by hose?

Well like I said the pool guy who brushed it noticed what I was talking about, so it's definitely not just something that I can see. My wife sees it as well, and for the $11k we spent on the job we feel like these sorts of things really shouldn't be there.

As I said, it looks like an area that needs to be brushed, but when you brush it the spots remain. The pool is way too cold for me to get in and look at up close so it's tough to diagnose, but I don't think it's algae or anything like that as it was evident as soon as I first brushed the pool after filling.

I am in a similar boat to you - older gunite pool, that was painted a few years ago. I am still in the process of finding a vendor but its looking closer to $30,000.

Did they sandblast the old paint off prior to replastering? I know that is an option, not a 'normal' part of the job but I wouldnt want to skip the sandblasting based on what I read.

Again - not an expert but I thought I read something about the pool needing to be filled all at the same time for curing - did you fill it by hose?

No sandblasting...there were several layers of old plaster and in some places more needed to be removed than in others. Hence the larger "craters" you may see in some of the photos. They did a good job of removing all the paint and plaster though.

As for filling, they said that filling with two hoses should be fine given the mild weather.

What would sandblasting do? If you're removing all the plaster underneath anyways, seems like an unnecessary step. If you were only trying to remove the paint and leave the plaster, I could see that as part of the process.

What plaster product was used and what color (if any) was added?

What are your fill water test results?

Was chlorine added right away or did you wait before adjusting any chemicals? What was added to the pool?

How long did you wait for the plaster to dry before turning on the hoses?

- - - Updated - - -

Perhaps more troubling than the spots I've noticed is what appears to be a piece of plaster that's missing. Easier to see in person but it's in the center right of this photo.

Unfortunately the forum software does not allow high resolution image uploads (to conserve data space) and so your images are being displayed with a downgraded pixel quality. Even when you zoom in, they are blurred.

Perhaps you can just post direct URL link to the image so it can be viewed separately OR you can edit your image with some arrows or circles to point out what you are talking about.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.