Jul 13, 2015
Minneapolis, MN
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi All,

I'm replacing the vinyl liner on my pool for the first time. I purchased a new vinyl liner through a pool company which includes install. They came out, took my winter pool cover off, and measured my pool dimensions with old liner still in. 4 weeks later they're out here doing the install. They cut away my old liner and tell me the pool will be ready 2 days.

Day 2 there's a problem. I have water coming from somewhere. They seem aghast at what it could possibly be and are offering no real solutions beyond this is out of their wheelhouse and I’ll have to pay thousands of dollars for some company to dewater the ground.

I had city operations come out and take a look- they said it's likely ground water from a high water table. In this area about 25% of the houses have inground pools. The guy actually had a friend who lived just down the block and pool builders told owners if liner had to be replaced, ground would have to be dewatered.

[rant coming]
I'm perturbed I wasn't informed of this when I bought the house. How did this house get a permit to build the pool if the liner could never be replaced without a full crew coming out here to dewater the ground? How could the prior home owners, their real estate agent, my real estate agent, my hired inspector not inform me of this issue?

This also seems like something that should be within a pool company’s wheelhouse. Nice of them to cut away my old liner and force me to deal with this situation sans guidance.

[exhale] Now being up a creek without a paddle, I’m taking the reigns back over this project.
Is this… perhaps… the perfect opportunity to shorten the deep end a few feet to above the water line? The pool is ~39k gallon and deep end is money pit to heat (~9ft with diving board).

What other solutions should I consider, and what are the ballpark costs associated with them?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
They seem aghast at what it could possibly be and are offering no real solutions beyond this is out of their wheelhouse and I’ll have to pay thousands of dollars for some company to dewater the ground.
I'm sorry they weren't and didn't prepare you for this. My guys told me upfront in 2012 that if they hit water while digging the pool, it would cost $1000 (each) for 4 well points to dewater for a week or so until the liner was in and full. But I live on a beachy island so hitting water is common.

Filling in some depth will only help this time. Next time the water table could be higher and you'd be back at square one. Ironically, I believe you'd still need the dewatering or else your fill would be soup.

Thank you for the replies thus far. My research is telling me this issue is somewhat common (at least not that rare).

Some folks (pool builders & diy) have installed a sump pump on their pool. Can anyone chime in regarding the pros/cons of this?

Is it this pool?

What water is near the pool like lakes, rivers, ponds etc?

20190908_122354-jpg.117986

Some folks (pool builders & diy) have installed a sump pump on their pool. Can anyone chime in regarding the pros/cons of this?
I see merit in them to protect against small to medium floods. If it's ground water or a heavy flood, the sump pump(s) would be like trying to drink the ocean with a straw.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.