Replacing SWG

Terp84

Jun 8, 2019
Maryland
Looking for some recommendations on replacing my current SWG system, which is no longer generating chlorine. My current SWG is a MS-11 (AquaRite), which has a plug (i.e. not hard wired) connected to a 120 v GFCI outlet (see picture below), bit there is no timer connected. The pump has a timer, but not the SWG. When I read through the forum, it seems that most of the recommendations are to have the SWG system hard wired and though a timer. I read thourgh the AquaRite owners manual, it indicates that either way is acceptable: https://www.hayward-pool.com/assets/documents/pools/pdf/manuals/aquarite-aqr-owners-manual.pdf. I am a bit confused about that.

IMG_4977.jpg
Automation would be nice, but we really don't need it. So I am now deciding between the Pentair IC60 with a power center and AquaRite AQR15 with the power cord. Our pool is 25K gallons. Since the AQR15 is sized only at 40K, I am worried that the pump will be undersized for what I need. The Intellichlor IC60 seemed to be better sized for my pool and is the same mfr as my pump and filter. However, I am disappointed with the warranty, which is one year on the power center and 2 years on the cell, along with the fact that I will need to have it hard wired with a timer. Going with an AQR15 with a plug and no timer seems to be the easier route and provides a 3 year warranty if installed by the pool service company. Any recommendations?

Thanks, Bill

The pump has a timer, but not the SWG. When I read through the forum, it seems that most of the recommendations are to have the SWG system hard wired and though a timer. I read thourgh the AquaRite owners manual, it indicates that either way is acceptable: https://www.hayward-pool.com/assets/documents/pools/pdf/manuals/aquarite-aqr-owners-manual.pdf. I am a bit confused about that.

Read page 12 of the AquaRite Installation Manual - https://www.hayward-pool.com/assets...nuals/AquaRite-AQR-Operation-Installation.pdf

It says...

Input Power For stand alone operation:

Wire the Aqua Rite to the LOAD SIDE of the filter pump timer. It is very important that the Aqua Rite is powered only when the pump is running.

The Aquarite with the T-15 cell will be fine for a 25K pool. Either the Aquarite or the IntelliChlor will work for you.

Last year, I began seeing the "Check Minerals" and "Inspect Cell" error lights on the AquaRite MS-11. I checked the mineral levels and cleaned the cell, but that did not resolve the problem. The only resolution was to reset the unit, which did resolve it for about a day, which I did daily and it produced chlorine. About a month and a half ago, it stopped generating chlorine completely. I removed the T-Cell connector plug and noticed that it was burnt. T-cell is under 3 years old, but since we purchased the T-cell from Amazon, no warranty coverage. From looking at the forum, I noticed the burnt plug issue could be an issue internally with the main board on the unit and now finding out that it should have be hard wired to a timer, I am wondering if that contributed to the problem as well. Since I am fairly certain the AquaRite unit is 16 years old, I don't want to spend money trying to repair it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.