Replacing Single speed pump with variable speed & pool Pilot

Aug 28, 2017
Windham, NH
My pool pump burned up & needs to be replaced; I currently have an an AquaTools 1.5 SPL pump (single speed - P/N AT2515000; Manufactured in May 2011). I have a SWG controlled by Pool Pilot, which also controls the pump in some fashion - there is an adjacent timer, but I don't think it is used.

I can't find any information on AquaTools; Not sure how to start picking out a new Pump. My power Company has a $500 rebate for variable speed pumps, so I want to look into those. My Electric bill is significantly higher during pool/Spa season ( $80-120/month).

Pool pump only runs the pool; As mentioned, I have a Pool Pilot SWG, Pentair heat pump, single skimmer, bottom drain, and 2 returns. No water features; 23K gallon pool, roughly kidney shaped.

I would like to install myself, as tearing apart the current one was pretty easy. I would like to get a similar size pump, to avoid doing plumbing work. So:

1.) How do I select the new VS pump - the same 1.5 HP? Are there other considerations?
2.) I assume I will need to do some reprogramming of the pool pilot to account for the new VS pump; Are there any threads that discuss this?
3.) Any brands to recommend? I have heard pentair is a decent brand, but not much else. Quality/duration, ease of maintenance and Installation, and efficiency are more of a concern than upfront cost.

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

The variable speed pump can save a lot of electricity. At 1/2 full speed, it draws 1/8 the power, so if you ran at 1/2 speed twice as long as you did at full speed, you still use only 1/4 as much electricity. Pentair--if you install yourself, you only have a 60 day warranty. If installed by a Pentair-certified installer, you have I believe three years. You must register and provide proof of purchase and installation.

Thank you @Bowser; I went with the Intelliflo VSF. I think from reading the Forums that in order to work with my pool pilot digital, I need to Wire the Pump directly to the panel, and break the connection between the pump and pool pilot. I.e, the pool pilot does not control the pump in any form or fashion. Then, I need to sync up the timing between the pump and SWG so the the pump is pushing out a the 15 GPM minimum whenever the SWG is on, and running both for the minimum amount of time to maintain FC & keep pool clean.

As the pump will be disconnected, I can leave the SWG in either externally controlled or 1 pump mode, since nothing will be connected to it.

Than sound right?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.