Replacing Single Speed Hayward 2HP Superpump: 2-speed recommendations?

patplh

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 29, 2009
Massachusetts
Hi, I'm replacing a single speed Hayward 2HP Superpump and looking for recommendations for a two speed pump. I'd like to see if we can do it ourselves, so looking for a 2-speed replacement (we have no plans for automation and are happy to go outside to turn on/off pump, waterfall, etc. Please see signature for our other equipment. If you can, also please let me know what other things we should be aware of before trying to do this ourselves.. voltage, any other things we need to buy?
btw, my filter pressure is normal at 15 with out current setup, before the 1 speed died (if that makes a difference)
Thanks!

Last edited:
Check what voltage you have at the current pump.
Then call Inyopools. They will match up a two speed motor with your wet end. Be sure you get a switch to be able to change speeds if you are not putting in a two speed timer.

Go to the circuit breaker than controls the power to the pump. Is it a single or double breaker?

In most cases, the cost of a variable speed pump is not that much different than the cost of a two speed pump.

Many local utilities have rebates available for variable speed pumps and Pentair, Hayward and Jandy sometimes have rebates available for variable speed pumps.

Check for rebates to see if that makes a difference to you.

Even without rebates, I would suggest the variable speed pump over the two speed pump.

I agree with the above advice. 2 speed pumps used to be the best choice but now variable speed is very affordable, in relative terms. You will cut your power consumption dramatically, since you can run high speed long enough to get good water circulation, then cut down to the min flow rate for your salt cell for proper chlorination. Your current pump is most likely 220V, but anything is possible. If the label on the motor is not too faded, it will tell you there as well. When my power hog of a single speed pump dies, I am going variable speed with automation myself.

If your pump is hard wired to a breaker, chances are high it's a 220V. Else, my thought would be they would have added a switch by the pump to flip it on/off. But, I can be totally wrong. Like Marty said, check your breakers.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
There are have been some installed. No issues have been reported. Inyopools is know as a quality pool parts supplier.

If the install is DIY -- you will get an 18 month warranty on their pumps. The majors greatly limit the warranty for DIY install.

Reactions: patplh
We have a timer switch on the wall to turn the pump on and off.. and a double breaker (picture attached). So, I need a second timer to switch from low and high speed? Would I need a l second timer for a variable motor or is that built into the pump? Sadly, no rebates in my area for pool pumps. Btw, I asked a similar question in March and that lead me to a 2 speed, instead of variable. I'll look at pricing again. Aside from inyo, any other recommendations? Was thinking I should stick with pentaire because we have an intellichlor 40.
Thanks again for replying!!

Attachments

• IMG_20190515_173932.jpg
    IMG_20190515_173932.jpg
    234.6 KB · Views: 4
For Northern climates a two speed might be a fine choice. We really only get about 5 months of pump time anyways. The paybacks on some equipment is double that of warmer climates. I have a two speed pump and have no complaints about it. At low speed the current draw is significantly less than high speed. We have two 24" Jandy waterfalls that are more power hungry when we run them and high speed works great for them.

My heater and SWG seem happy running on low speed as well. Those would be the two items that might be the biggest risk in your setup.

Two speed pumps have far fewer electronics to worry about (I just realized that I'm turning into my father, he ordered a car with hand crank windows once).

Variable speed pumps have the speed controls built into them.

I don't know how much more adjustment I would really need between high and low speeds.

Reactions: patplh
Hi - I called inyopools and spoke to a few ppl just to make sure I was getting the right information. Seems they don't ask all the leading questions before recommending a pool pump.. so I'm glad I asked follow up questions (thanks to knowledge gained at TFP). I got recommended 3 different pumps before ending with the PL2626 - PureLine Prime Variable Speed Pool Pump 2.7 HP Salt Friendly. First person I spoke to steered me away from the hayward dual speed because it would end up costing me almost as much as a Pureline VSP due to the extra cost of the timer to control speed. Second person cautioned me against using a 2.7HP to replace a 2.0HP and recommended I get a flow meter in case my pipes are 1.5" instead of 2.0". I think I've decided on the PL2626 because of the ease of install and the included timer. It should theoretically be a close fit since we are replacing a Hayward Superpump. Ease of install is important to us. Do you guys agree with my decision? :)
(edited) Also, I just called inyopools one more time b/c I started wondering what to do with our existing timer and how I would hook up the SWG IC40.
Sounds like I have 2 options.
1) bypass/remove the timer, connect Pureline to Breaker and connect IC40 to Pureline Aux Port so they turn on together (which is what happens now with our old school dial timer)
2) leave the timer in place with no pins so it's always on and connect the wires of the new pump in exactly the same way as the old pump. The IC40 would be on all the time , so I would have to rely on the IC40 flow meter to only create SW when it senses flow.
What do you suggest?
Thanks again for responding. Hopefully these are my last questions.
Really Really appreciate it!

Last edited:
You will need to use your existing timer to turn on/off the SWCG. The SWCG should only be powered when the pump is scheduled to run.

Sorry for the confusion on ordering. Always good to go in with some knowledge.

You will need to use your existing timer to turn on/off the SWCG. The SWCG should only be powered when the pump is scheduled to run.

Sorry for the confusion on ordering. Always good to go in with some knowledge.

Hi, Thanks for the quick response. Not sure if you saw my update to my last post, but I spoke to the inyopool rep and he said I could rely on the Pureline Aux relay to only power the SWCG when the pump is on. Do you have any experience with using that port? I would like to get rid of the timer if possible - it's old and has sparked in the past.

Last edited:
I did not know that pump version had the aux relay. I know they had a pump that did, but not that one.

If it has the aux relay, then yes, you can use it to turn on and off the SWCG. It means the SWCG will be generating whenever your pump is running.

I did not know that pump version had the aux relay. I know they had a pump that did, but not that one.
I looked at the manual and the pump you are getting does have the AUX relays now. Great for them. Good information to know.

Take care.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.