Replacing sand filter valve, need suggestions on hose and connections

joseywales

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 11, 2009
Exton, PA
I'll a post a picture from my phone in a minute or two. The valve cracked. Honestly, I think the guy who installed the plumbing for the heater cranked on the intall and weakened the threads of the valve. it took a few years, but here we are. Anyway, we have a party planned and I need to wrap this up quick.

I picked up a new 262506 valve (replacing the 272526 valve. Should be the same. The installer cemented the fittings, so unless I can spin the new valve on and get it to sit on the filter, I'm likely having to replace that 2" PVC flex hose going to the heater.

You can see the elbow didn't quite clear the filter and I'm wondering if that, too, didn't push pressure on the valve, as that's exactly where the crack is. The constant upward pressure probably played a role here. I'd like to extend that somehow, but am ignorant on where to find these fittings. Eagle Pool is local, but didn't have any 2" material. Would Lowes or Home Depot? What about other fittings?

Is it possible to remove the adapter from that elbow with heat or acetone? Probably not worth the effort?

I can handle using cement, but are there fittings to accomplish this without cement?

Thanks for any insight.

Oh, and my daughter's graduation party is next week, so you know, no rush...509521E3-6207-40F3-BBAC-481B88B1063A.jpeg

If it were me, I'd keep the clear plastic hose from the pump to the filter but replace the output plumbing with rigid PVC. The fittings and pipe look like standard 1.5" SCH40 PVC. Available at Lowes/Home depot. You need PVC primer and cement, too.

Thanks. The outgoing is actually 2” inside diameter, The OD is about 2.4". I really like the water flow since that 2" pipe was installed, but the 2" flex is nearly impossible to find locally, except for 25' lengths.

I've thought about the rigid PVC and might go that route. It will stick out a bit more, but I'm the only one walking back there. I might have primer and cement from a previous job, or I gave it to my FIL. Can't recall.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.