Replacing pump

allendehl

Jan 29, 2020
Miramar, FL
Hello folks,

I am doing some work on the pool and was thinking about replacing the pump as well. We moved into the house 3 years ago and since the beginning I have the feeling that it is not enough.
I don't know the type of pump but the motor is a Century USQ 1102, 1HP.
My pool has only one vacuum port at the skimmer and I'm adding a new one. It has an old system for the return with a carousel and 6 pop-up return ports at the bottom. The spa has 3 jets that feel soft. One main drain in the pool and one in the spa.
I have a Autopilot SWG and a heater.
Since day one I had to direct all of the return flow to the spa or I would barely get watter coming from it . Also directed all the vacuum to the skimmer at the pool where I have the robot. Any other settings spreading vacuum across main drains and skimmer would barely move the robot.
All this makes me think that the pump may be a bit undersized.
Now the question is what to get. I know VS are most preferred option but I would still like to get some thoughts on max HP for my setup.
I am not thinking in setting up automation and I read in another thread that there are some good VS pumps our there if automation wasn't in the picture.

Any recommendations or thoughts? A couple of pics attached of my pump.

Thank you as usual in advance!

Attachments

• 20230129_134714.jpg
    20230129_134714.jpg
    371.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 20230127_104531.jpg
    20230127_104531.jpg
    422.4 KB · Views: 6
Hello folks,

I am doing some work on the pool and was thinking about replacing the pump as well. We moved into the house 3 years ago and since the beginning I have the feeling that it is not enough.
I don't know the type of pump but the motor is a Century USQ 1102, 1HP.
My pool has only one vacuum port at the skimmer and I'm adding a new one. It has an old system for the return with a carousel and 6 pop-up return ports at the bottom. The spa has 3 jets that feel soft. One main drain in the pool and one in the spa.
I have a Autopilot SWG and a heater.
Since day one I had to direct all of the return flow to the spa or I would barely get watter coming from it . Also directed all the vacuum to the skimmer at the pool where I have the robot. Any other settings spreading vacuum across main drains and skimmer would barely move the robot.
All this makes me think that the pump may be a bit undersized.
Now the question is what to get. I know VS are most preferred option but I would still like to get some thoughts on max HP for my setup.
I am not thinking in setting up automation and I read in another thread that there are some good VS pumps our there if automation wasn't in the picture.

Any recommendations or thoughts? A couple of pics attached of my pump.

Thank you as usual in advance!
You have a 1hp Sta-Rite Dyna Glass pump, a medium-head discontinued pump. You want to get a high-head VSP of about 3hp and turn the rpm down to get the most from the energy savings they afford. Right now, the Waterway Power Defender 270, a very good pump, is about the least-expensive "name brand" VSP pump available.

Thank you very much poolman! That was a big question I've always had about my current system.
I checked online and found the PD 270 and PD 300 in Pool Supply Delivery but the 300 is considerably cheaper than the 270 which doesn't make much sense to me. Is this online store reputable? Dies anyone know?

Thank you very much poolman! That was a big question I've always had about my current system.
I checked online and found the PD 270 and PD 300 in Pool Supply Delivery but the 300 is considerably cheaper than the 270 which doesn't make much sense to me. Is this online store reputable? Dies anyone know?
Doesn't appear to be good.

Power Defender 300 is no longer listed on the Waterway website. May be obsolete. It was more complex than the PD 270.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.