Replacing Pump - Major Mistake - Forgot to Install Slip Connector

Jun 16, 2015
Voorhees, NJ
I am replacing my pump, and I thought it would be a good idea to use unions. I just made a major mistake, and I don’t know how to correct it. I forgot to install the slip connector (not sure if that’s the correct word for it) before gluing. I don’t know how to fix this, as I don’t have enough room for an additional 2” coupling. There is only about 2.5” of space between the coupling and the union connection, and I believe I would need about 3”. I am so mad at myself right now. If anyone has any ideas, I would be so grateful!

Attachments

• 844D4137-E372-4E13-B518-8CE440950E80.jpeg
    844D4137-E372-4E13-B518-8CE440950E80.jpeg
    271.2 KB · Views: 37
  • 0406B9A5-FEDD-4443-B7A1-4FAF07B08226.jpeg
    0406B9A5-FEDD-4443-B7A1-4FAF07B08226.jpeg
    381.2 KB · Views: 37
Do you mean you forgot to put the threaded connecter on to connect your plumbing to the pump? If so, the only solution I see is cutting it, getting new parts, and starting over.

You could take that entire end piece off. The piece that is missing the screw part and the short piece of straight PVC it is connected to. Cut it close as you can then get a reaming tool and ream out where it connects to the rest of the plumbing. Your plumbing is tight that sucks not a lot of options.

In your first picture, if you make a cut flush with the coupling at the top of the gray pipe, that should leave you enough room to glue on a new coupling. Then just make another cut on the pipe coming out of the pump with enough pipe left to glue on a 2nd coupling. That should give you enough room to glue on a new piece of pipe between the 2 new couplings. (Remember to put that threaded collar on first this time.:) I've done that myself before.:brickwall:

1 more more option is to cut your screw piece you forgot through one side, carefully bend it and put in on, then use JB Weld plastic to glue the cut part back together. This should work if that tailpiece has an oring on it. If not, it still might work depends how well you got your weld.

Another option...this coupler is designed to fit inside 2 in. Sch. 40 PVC pipe (white). It's also available in 1.5". It won't work on the grey pipe which is probably Sch. 80.

The "grey" pipe looks like white sch 40 with primer on it. In any event, I'd cut the sch 40 pipe just before that connector going into the black screw-in adapter at the pump. Unscrew that adapter from the pump and replace it with a screw-in union. You should have enough room for that.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I’ve had to fix a very similar mistake. You could try using grinder or dremel with a cut off wheel and make a cut on opposite sides of the coupler and split it in half. Sand off any remaining glue, clean, prime, and glue. Worked for me. Just be careful not to cut to deep.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.