Replacing Pump hose

sh9730

Apr 17, 2016
Casa Grande, AZ
SO, been awhile - that is because thanks to you folks here our pool has been in place about 18 months in the AZ heat and winter with no troubles at all - pour a little chlorine in every day and done!

THANKS!

As a reminder - 18x9 Intex Metal Frame.

But, finally our first little hiccup. I need to replace a leaking (small at this point thankfully) hose - this is one of the two small hoses that drain from the pool into a single hose to pump - not explaining it right - but you experts will know.

Replacement on order from Intex - hopefully be here tomorrow - but Friday at latest.

My QUESTION is - can I just replace it outright and let force it on while the water is pouring out of the pool as I remove the old one? Or do I need to drain below the outflow things before changing the hose?

Also - this leak apparently has affected the pump water pressure level - the water is low in the little bucket you can see when the pump is filtering - once I replace the hose is there anything special I need to do to get the pump properly working again? I just turned it off for now since we are only talking 24-48 hours.

TIA.

SO, been awhile - that is because thanks to you folks here our pool has been in place about 18 months in the AZ heat and winter with no troubles at all - pour a little chlorine in every day and done!

THANKS!

As a reminder - 18x9 Intex Metal Frame.

But, finally our first little hiccup. I need to replace a leaking (small at this point thankfully) hose - this is one of the two small hoses that drain from the pool into a single hose to pump - not explaining it right - but you experts will know.

Replacement on order from Intex - hopefully be here tomorrow - but Friday at latest.

My QUESTION is - can I just replace it outright and let force it on while the water is pouring out of the pool as I remove the old one? Or do I need to drain below the outflow things before changing the hose?

Also - this leak apparently has affected the pump water pressure level - the water is low in the little bucket you can see when the pump is filtering - once I replace the hose is there anything special I need to do to get the pump properly working again? I just turned it off for now since we are only talking 24-48 hours.

TIA.
Your pool should have come with black plastic caps. You unscrew the strainers from inside the pool and place the caps over them. You'll need to cap both all of inlets and outlets to stop water from flowing everywhere. Of course you could just yank the hose and throw another one up there. You shouldn't lose too much water if you're quick.

Your pool should have come with black plastic caps. You unscrew the strainers from inside the pool and place the caps over them. You'll need to cap both all of inlets and outlets to stop water from flowing everywhere. Of course you could just yank the hose and throw another one up there. You shouldn't lose too much water if you're quick.

Thanks - I thought there might be caps - but I ll probably just yank as long as there is no harm in doing so. Any ideas on the pump? Should I backwash it or anything? I am surprised that this little leak would cause this much issue in the pump - but my robot doesnt have enough to move around - and again in that part of the pump with the clear lid (sorry cannot remember what it is called) the water level is very low.

The two issues may not even be related - but that would be pretty coincidental if not.

Thanks again.

yes the tiny leak will cause air to build in your pump basket. when you get everything changed out and any caps/plugs etc back open but before you turn the pump on, unscrew the little knob on the lid top and most of the air will be replaced by water. next time you order parts think about putting in valves so you can shut things off when you need to work on pumps/filters.

Just a quick update on this - got the replacement hose on Friday. Took about 1 minute to replace with VERY minimal water loss even without stuffing anything. And as suspected by PV2 above - that small leak did cause the pressure problem in the pump. It is all good now also.

Thanks!

Just a quick update on this - got the replacement hose on Friday. Took about 1 minute to replace with VERY minimal water loss even without stuffing anything. And as suspected by PV2 above - that small leak did cause the pressure problem in the pump. It is all good now also.

Thanks!

you are welcome - and now the confession: I knew that because I have a teeny tiny leak where I hard-plumbed my skimmer and until I fix it I can't vacuum - it sucks air and displaces the water in my pump basket which then causes loss of suction. fortunatly the robot keeps the bottom just about as clean as me vacuuming. I will fix it eventualy because the valve I also suggeted for you to instal - mine was defective and doesn't work. LOL I am good for giving advice and not taking it.:p

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.