Replacing Pool Pump

TJ0214

May 3, 2015
Atlanta
Hello forum, I was hoping you could help me make a decision on a new pool pump for the swimming pool. We just had the pool converted to a Salt system and noticed the pool pump making some noise this year. It is definitely old so wanted to look at options. The pool guy recommended I look at Hayward since everything else I have is Hayward. I really like the look of the cost savings on the Variable Speed pumps. I have a 40k gallon pool, rectangle. They have so many choices in the VS models I don't know exactly what I'm looking for. I think I have 2 inch pipe, will definitely check again but its at least 1.5 inch pipe. It was just all replaced this year. Any recommendations or good experience with a certain model? Are they fairly easy to setup and program? No heater on pool, just run about 5 months for the season and close up if that helps.

Thanks!!

What SWCG did you install? Can you put that in your signature.

Do you have automation? Only reason to stick with one manufacturer is if you have automation.

Lots of VS pumps out there. The gold standard is the Intelliflo VS. Will this be a DIY install?

Thanks MKnauss for the quick reply. I put in a Hayward SWCG and not sure of the model but will find that out when I get home from work. It has a box that you set your desired Salt percentage at and then have to switch it manually to other settings or high chlorine etc. So it has a control unit but when its comes to automation I'm not sure that is what you mean. I would be doing this myself yes.

Automation is such that all the equipment talks to one control system and you can adjust pump settings, SWCG settings, valve settings, etc remotely. I doubt your system will need that.

I am concerned that you may have a 40000 gallon rated SWCG as that is the largest Hayward makes. You will be having to run your pump with a SWCG set at 100% 24 hours per day in the summer to create the chlorine you need, if, your pool volume is really 40000 gallons.

With a self install, I would suggest looking at Pureline pumps from InyoPools. You get an 18 month warranty with DIY install. With the major suppliers, you get minimal (at most 60 day) warranties with DIY install.

Your pool guy was not educated on the needs of the pool and SWG output. Mknauss is right on with your pool demand needs. It will work but is far from ideal you needed a 60k cell if your 40k pool actually is that big. Look at your electric rates if you have no water features you should be fine with a 2 speed unless it's worth going to a VS for the cost savings. I would save up for a new salt cell you will get 3 years max out of that one at high usage rates

Wow you guys are seriously making me concerned. I had a pool company who was has been in business for over 40years do all the work for me. It was a 30 year pool that they pulled out the liner and redid the walls, bottom and did all the new concrete. I had lights added to the pool and they redid all the piping. They wrote up everything I needed and I paid them to add the salt system that was right for my pool. That being said it sounds like they installed a SWG system that is under rated for my pool? The pump I have is just making some bearing noise. Its working fine and I do have a Water Feature on the pool. I mean I can totally cut a little pvc pipe and add a new pump without any issues, just thought it would be easy. How can I find out if they really installed something that is going to cost me more money and wear out? This was just installed last week.

Thanks!

You have not stated what SWCG you have but as you stated it was Hayward so we assume it is a T-15. That SWCG can add 4.2 ppm FC to your 40000 gallon pool each day if run at 100% setting for 24 hours per day.

In your area, in the summer, your FC load in the pool will be 3-4 ppm per day. So the SWCG will need to run near 100% for nearly 24 hours per day to meet that FC load. Not a big deal, you have a large pool. Your electric bill with a single speed pump is the real issue.

No panic, just knowledge.

In their eyes it's fine because a Hayward t15 is rated for a 40k pool and that's what you have. What they dont tell you is you need to run pump so cell can work 24hrs a day to make the chlorine you will need in the peak of the season. The cell is like an engine. Higher rpms wear it out you usually want to run the engine as low as possible. Same with a swg. An oversize cell runs less and lasts longer they have an hour usage on them less use is better. Also less use equals less pump run time so savings on electric too

your not screwed, but that isnt the setup I would have installed. like we said that cell can produce a little over 4 ppm at 100% output and you will need close to that in the peak. if you already ran your pump 24/7 then it doesnt matter you will just shorten the life of the cell compared to the average person. If you ran the pump only a few hours a day before then you will have to boost it up as you get into the season to almost 24/7. its gonna depend on testing your water to see what you need as far as chlorine

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
only the circupool or the petair swg's are rated for 60k pools that I know of. I would have a VS pump to match and an automation setup using the matching brands control box. The pentair VS is the gold standard and their automation and IC60 cell are the matching set

Thanks for all the help guys. I am going to stick with the Hayward TCELL940 on a Hayward AquaRite 900 series for my pool. The company said if it becomes an issue with having to run it 24/7 then they will replace it without an issue. Right now they are telling me high season should only be 12 hours a day. We shall see.

What I am having an issue now is with doing my own VS Pump. I want to go with Pentair but I have read some of the articles in pool help section and I am a little concerned. It says that when the VS changes speed you have to make sure your SWG changes as well. I am sure that is where the automation comes in that I wont have. Can anyone recommend which Pentair I should look at for the VS Pump on my size pool. Can you tell me if its going to cause me chlorination issues or as long as I run on a certain speed a day I should be ok for the slow speeds? Just really confusing to me.

Thanks!

The only issue with a VS pump and SWCG without automation is you need to turn the power OFF to the SWCG when the pump shuts off. So, in most standalone systems, you need to have a timer for the SWCG that is set to only be powered on when the pump is set to run.

The flow rate from the pump just needs to be set so it closes the flow switch on the SWCG so it will generate chlorine.

Be wary, with your size pool you will need to run the SWCG a lot more than 12 hours a day in the summer.

@mknauss How do I know that the SWGC is off when the pool pump is off. I think the lights are still on, on the control panel when the pump turns off now. Should the Hayward control panel be off also when the pool pump is off or is there another power feature for the Cell I have to make sure is off.

Thanks!

The power should be completely removed from the SWCG system when the pump is not running. So no lights should be on.

Your pool service did not install the SWCG system correctly. It should be wired through your timer for your pump.

The issue is, if the SWCG has power to it and the pump stops running, and the flow switch fails closed, there is a possibility, though rare, that the SWCG can explode. It has happened.

If you are set on a Pentair, then the Intelliflo 011018 (though that is an old model number, a new one is just hitting the market) is the gold standard.

I assume you will have a professional install it so you will get the 2 year warranty.

Sure - a VS pump is a variable HP pump. You only run it as much as you need. You will probably be running the VS pump at about 1500 rpm for normal operations, slightly higher if you want to run the waterfall. At 1500 rpm, I suspect it will be using ~250 watts/hour. Your current pump is consuming ~1500 watts/hour.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.